downgrade to solve lockup

  • wr2uhf
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
      My embedded node running Linux 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 is locking up occasionally, particularly upon disconnect from reflectors. Since it seems to be a problem most often found with CentOS 5.4 installs in Embedded nodes, is it feasable to downgrade the OS? If so, specifically what steps would be needed?

      -Pres W2PW (4700,7737,7300,4447)
    • David Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        I was in the process of building a CentOS 4 based image for a 2 gig drive. I found the reason why the audio was repeating, and fixed that.

        Now I am in Africa, and can't do much development on it now. I am really trying to make a USB image that can be put on a USB stick, so you don't have to ship it to me to get it to work - you can build it yourself.

        It will just save a bunch of shipping back and forth.

        From: "wr2uhf" <pp9pp9pp@...>
        Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:57:10 -0000
        To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [irlp-embedded] downgrade to solve lockup

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2011
          I have done some research, and it looks very possible to perform this with a ZIP file you can download from my website, followed by an overwrite of the 2Gig flash drive that is currently running CentOS5 on your node.

          The FIRST step will be to run a custom script (backup_for_reinstall) script that is currently on nodes. It will save a file to a USB key (a different USB key) which will be used to configure the node after we re-write the filesystem.

          This will back up ONLY your node settings (audio settings, node number, PGP key, etc), but will not include any customizations (like custom scripts, etc).

          Then you will download this large ZIP file from irlp.net, follow the directions to put it onto a USB drive, and boot from USB. It will then overwrite the CentOS 5.5 with CentOS 4.8, and the freezing problems will go away too.

          There are likely to be a few bugs, and some things that may not get copied correctly. But the major building blocks will be there.

          I will not be able to attempt this until after I return from my business trip in Africa. So this system will be in place likely in early March.