May have answered my own question: Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
      Might have answered this myself.

      I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

      The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

      Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

      > What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?
      >
      > I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio. I'm asking this here because I don't know if there are any built-in capabilities that make this easier with a node.
      >
      > What hardware is required (including cabling)?
      > What software is best to use for the host server to braodcast this live feed?

    • Mike Morris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
        At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:

        Might have answered this myself.

        I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

        The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

        Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

        If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
        then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
        list several times over the years.  GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
        search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
        Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
        sound card.
        So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
        to the repeater transmitter audio.  Yes, you can use the node computer
        to do it's own streaming.

        To hear a sample of this just go to < www.winsystem.org>, look in
        the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
        is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast.  The second is
        identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
        Click on the hub audio and listen.
        Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
        from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).

        Mike WA6ILQ

      • Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
          My method is described on my web page.. http://www.w2ymm.net/scanner_stream.html

          There are many ways to do it. I happened to use an old Maxtrax radio I had and a junkbox pc I built. I feed it to Radio Reference.com because I had an app on my Blackberry which got its source from there.
          Good luck
          Bob W2YMM
          I-4265
          E-1224

          Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
          631-960-1051

          From: "ipscone" <ipscone@...>
          Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:49:14 -0000
          To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [irlp-embedded] May have answered my own question: Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
            I will look at that (shoutcast). I have an extra SignaLink USB Sound card that I use for digital. I bought 2 so I have an extra. Wonder if that will work as a seperate sound card, for shoutcast?

            hmmm... I'll have to investigate that.

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Mike Morris <wa6ilq1@...> wrote:

            > At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:
            >

            > >Might have answered this myself.
            > >
            > >I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP
            > >simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to
            > >stream my audio to the internet.
            > >
            > >The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.
            > >
            > >Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?
            >
            > If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
            > then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
            > list several times over the years. GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
            > search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
            > Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
            > sound card.
            > So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
            > to the repeater transmitter audio. Yes, you can use the node computer
            > to do it's own streaming.
            >
            > To hear a sample of this just go to <www.winsystem.org>, look in
            > the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
            > is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast. The second is
            > identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
            > Click on the hub audio and listen.
            > Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
            > from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).
            >
            > Mike WA6ILQ

          • Juan Tellez
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

              Hello everybody,

              Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the

              Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other

              10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if

              it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?

              Thanks in advance.

              JT, XE2SI

              stn8378

              __________ Información de ESET Smart Security, versión de la base de firmas de virus 5813 (20110124) __________

              ESET Smart Security ha comprobado este mensaje.

              http://www.eset.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                First of all, 20% is a very high percentage. But to do the math:

                4k bytes/sec * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 30 days * .20

                is just over 2 gigs. Your usage will likely be more in the 5-10% range.

                Dave Cameron

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Tellez" <xe2si@...> wrote:

                > Hello everybody,
                >

                > Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the
                >
                > Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other
                >
                > 10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if
                >
                > it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?
                >

                > Thanks in advance.
                >

                > JT, XE2SI
                >
                > stn8378

              • Juan Tellez
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

                  Thanks for your response Dave, yes I think I was in the ”very Busy”

                  side, hope to have it in the air soon.

                  JT

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 25, 2011
                    It really didn't take me long to set this up.

                    I went with ProScan, since I already had it for programming my scanner. I am
                    also using WinAmp for my audio client. It has a nice display and displays tags.

                    I am using SignalLink as a USB sound card. This is the one area that I need to
                    work on. Not that there's anything wrong with SignalLink but this audio
                    connection requires all the volumns turns up to near max. Decent audio
                    though... just not as loud as I'd like. I would prefer the same volume level
                    without having the controls set to max. Anyone have a good audio suggestion?

                    Here is a graphic of the setup (if the link disappears, I will have it in my
                    photo section):

                    http://www.msdsite.com/irlp/Remote_Scanning.jpg

                    I think I will be buying a BCD996XT and make this a permanent setup. Right now
                    I'm using my 396XT and I'd prefer to have that with me.