Re: Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
      I think you might not be the person to provide the answers if you don't know what I'm referring to. Others that use IRLP have their node traffic web accessible via live streaming. Those are the ones who can provide the answers I need.

      Thanks,
      Mike
      KC7VE, node 7681 and 4581

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, AG0N-3055 <mcduffie@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:18:25 -0000, ipscone wrote:
      >
      > > What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?
      >
      > > I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio.
      >
      > You need to define a little more than that. What do you mean by
      > broadcast? Broadcast what to who? Who is supposed to hear it by what
      > means?
      >
      > Gary
      > --
      > http://garymcduffie.com
      > 3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
      > NodeOp Help Page: http://garymcduffie.com/irlp

    • AG0N-3055
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:06:57 -0000, ipscone wrote:

        > I think you might not be the person to provide the answers if you don't know what I'm referring to. Others that use IRLP have their node traffic web accessible via live streaming. Those are the ones who can provide the answers I need.

        Ok..you didn't say you wanted to stream over the internet. By the way,
        that topic has been discussed recently on the list, possibly not on the
        embedded list, but on the irlp list. You're right. I don't know the
        answer, but I know it was just brought up and discussed.

        Good luck with the project.

        Gary
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
          Might have answered this myself.

          I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

          The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

          Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

          > What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?
          >
          > I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio. I'm asking this here because I don't know if there are any built-in capabilities that make this easier with a node.
          >
          > What hardware is required (including cabling)?
          > What software is best to use for the host server to braodcast this live feed?

        • Mike Morris
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
            At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:

            Might have answered this myself.

            I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

            The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

            Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

            If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
            then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
            list several times over the years.  GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
            search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
            Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
            sound card.
            So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
            to the repeater transmitter audio.  Yes, you can use the node computer
            to do it's own streaming.

            To hear a sample of this just go to < www.winsystem.org>, look in
            the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
            is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast.  The second is
            identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
            Click on the hub audio and listen.
            Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
            from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).

            Mike WA6ILQ

          • Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
              My method is described on my web page.. http://www.w2ymm.net/scanner_stream.html

              There are many ways to do it. I happened to use an old Maxtrax radio I had and a junkbox pc I built. I feed it to Radio Reference.com because I had an app on my Blackberry which got its source from there.
              Good luck
              Bob W2YMM
              I-4265
              E-1224

              Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
              631-960-1051

              From: "ipscone" <ipscone@...>
              Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:49:14 -0000
              To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [irlp-embedded] May have answered my own question: Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                I will look at that (shoutcast). I have an extra SignaLink USB Sound card that I use for digital. I bought 2 so I have an extra. Wonder if that will work as a seperate sound card, for shoutcast?

                hmmm... I'll have to investigate that.

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Mike Morris <wa6ilq1@...> wrote:

                > At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:
                >

                > >Might have answered this myself.
                > >
                > >I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP
                > >simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to
                > >stream my audio to the internet.
                > >
                > >The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.
                > >
                > >Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?
                >
                > If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
                > then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
                > list several times over the years. GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
                > search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
                > Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
                > sound card.
                > So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
                > to the repeater transmitter audio. Yes, you can use the node computer
                > to do it's own streaming.
                >
                > To hear a sample of this just go to <www.winsystem.org>, look in
                > the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
                > is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast. The second is
                > identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
                > Click on the hub audio and listen.
                > Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
                > from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).
                >
                > Mike WA6ILQ

              • Juan Tellez
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

                  Hello everybody,

                  Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the

                  Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other

                  10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if

                  it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?

                  Thanks in advance.

                  JT, XE2SI

                  stn8378

                  __________ Información de ESET Smart Security, versión de la base de firmas de virus 5813 (20110124) __________

                  ESET Smart Security ha comprobado este mensaje.

                  http://www.eset.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                    First of all, 20% is a very high percentage. But to do the math:

                    4k bytes/sec * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 30 days * .20

                    is just over 2 gigs. Your usage will likely be more in the 5-10% range.

                    Dave Cameron

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Tellez" <xe2si@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everybody,
                    >

                    > Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the
                    >
                    > Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other
                    >
                    > 10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if
                    >
                    > it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?
                    >

                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >

                    > JT, XE2SI
                    >
                    > stn8378

                  • Juan Tellez
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

                      Thanks for your response Dave, yes I think I was in the ”very Busy”

                      side, hope to have it in the air soon.

                      JT

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 25, 2011
                        It really didn't take me long to set this up.

                        I went with ProScan, since I already had it for programming my scanner. I am
                        also using WinAmp for my audio client. It has a nice display and displays tags.

                        I am using SignalLink as a USB sound card. This is the one area that I need to
                        work on. Not that there's anything wrong with SignalLink but this audio
                        connection requires all the volumns turns up to near max. Decent audio
                        though... just not as loud as I'd like. I would prefer the same volume level
                        without having the controls set to max. Anyone have a good audio suggestion?

                        Here is a graphic of the setup (if the link disappears, I will have it in my
                        photo section):

                        http://www.msdsite.com/irlp/Remote_Scanning.jpg

                        I think I will be buying a BCD996XT and make this a permanent setup. Right now
                        I'm using my 396XT and I'd prefer to have that with me.