Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
      What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?

      I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio. I'm asking this here because I don't know if there are any built-in capabilities that make this easier with a node.

      What hardware is required (including cabling)?
      What software is best to use for the host server to braodcast this live feed?
    • AG0N-3055
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:18:25 -0000, ipscone wrote:

        > What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?

        > I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio.

        You need to define a little more than that. What do you mean by
        broadcast? Broadcast what to who? Who is supposed to hear it by what
        means?

        Gary
        --
        http://garymcduffie.com
        3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
          I think you might not be the person to provide the answers if you don't know what I'm referring to. Others that use IRLP have their node traffic web accessible via live streaming. Those are the ones who can provide the answers I need.

          Thanks,
          Mike
          KC7VE, node 7681 and 4581

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
            On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:06:57 -0000, ipscone wrote:

            > I think you might not be the person to provide the answers if you don't know what I'm referring to. Others that use IRLP have their node traffic web accessible via live streaming. Those are the ones who can provide the answers I need.

            Ok..you didn't say you wanted to stream over the internet. By the way,
            that topic has been discussed recently on the list, possibly not on the
            embedded list, but on the irlp list. You're right. I don't know the
            answer, but I know it was just brought up and discussed.

            Good luck with the project.

            Gary
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
              Might have answered this myself.

              I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

              The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

              Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

              > What is the best way (or easiest way) to broadcast live audio from an IRLP node?
              >
              > I assume one way would be to use a scanner to monitor the frequency and live broadcast that audio. I'm asking this here because I don't know if there are any built-in capabilities that make this easier with a node.
              >
              > What hardware is required (including cabling)?
              > What software is best to use for the host server to braodcast this live feed?

            • Mike Morris
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:

                Might have answered this myself.

                I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to stream my audio to the internet.

                The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.

                Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?

                If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
                then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
                list several times over the years.  GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
                search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
                Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
                sound card.
                So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
                to the repeater transmitter audio.  Yes, you can use the node computer
                to do it's own streaming.

                To hear a sample of this just go to < www.winsystem.org>, look in
                the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
                is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast.  The second is
                identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
                Click on the hub audio and listen.
                Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
                from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).

                Mike WA6ILQ

              • Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                  My method is described on my web page.. http://www.w2ymm.net/scanner_stream.html

                  There are many ways to do it. I happened to use an old Maxtrax radio I had and a junkbox pc I built. I feed it to Radio Reference.com because I had an app on my Blackberry which got its source from there.
                  Good luck
                  Bob W2YMM
                  I-4265
                  E-1224

                  Bob Prybyzerski W2YMM
                  631-960-1051

                  From: "ipscone" <ipscone@...>
                  Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:49:14 -0000
                  To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [irlp-embedded] May have answered my own question: Live Streaming of IRLP Audio

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                    I will look at that (shoutcast). I have an extra SignaLink USB Sound card that I use for digital. I bought 2 so I have an extra. Wonder if that will work as a seperate sound card, for shoutcast?

                    hmmm... I'll have to investigate that.

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Mike Morris <wa6ilq1@...> wrote:

                    > At 10:49 AM 01/24/11, you wrote:
                    >

                    > >Might have answered this myself.
                    > >
                    > >I think a good way will be to use my scanner and monitor the IRLP
                    > >simplex frequency. Then use a program like ScannerCast or ProScan to
                    > >stream my audio to the internet.
                    > >
                    > >The advantage of ProScan is that I can also control the scanner remotely.
                    > >
                    > >Anyone using a different method than using a scanner?
                    >
                    > If you have internet at the same location as the IRLP node computer
                    > then you can use a method that has been described on the main IRLP
                    > list several times over the years. GO to the Yahoogroup web site and
                    > search the archives for "streaming" or "Shoutcast".
                    > Basically you add the Shoutcast software, which requires it's own
                    > sound card.
                    > So you add a second sound card and patch the audio input of that card
                    > to the repeater transmitter audio. Yes, you can use the node computer
                    > to do it's own streaming.
                    >
                    > To hear a sample of this just go to <www.winsystem.org>, look in
                    > the left column for "Streaming Audio". There are two options - one
                    > is identified as "Hub Audio" and that is the Shoutcast. The second is
                    > identified as the Santiago Peak repeater and that is off a monitor receiver.
                    > Click on the hub audio and listen.
                    > Due to how Shoutcast works there's about a 15-20 second delay
                    > from real time (i.e. you can't use it to duplex listen to yourself).
                    >
                    > Mike WA6ILQ

                  • Juan Tellez
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

                      Hello everybody,

                      Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the

                      Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other

                      10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if

                      it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?

                      Thanks in advance.

                      JT, XE2SI

                      stn8378

                      __________ Información de ESET Smart Security, versión de la base de firmas de virus 5813 (20110124) __________

                      ESET Smart Security ha comprobado este mensaje.

                      http://www.eset.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011
                        First of all, 20% is a very high percentage. But to do the math:

                        4k bytes/sec * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 30 days * .20

                        is just over 2 gigs. Your usage will likely be more in the 5-10% range.

                        Dave Cameron

                        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Tellez" <xe2si@...> wrote:

                        > Hello everybody,
                        >

                        > Want to implement a mobile node, here in Mexico Telcel which is one of the
                        >
                        > Wireless Internet providers have two packages, one is 5 Gb and the other
                        >
                        > 10 Gb, a month, question is how much internet traffic an IRLP node have if
                        >
                        > it is online 24/7 and used 20% of that time?
                        >

                        > Thanks in advance.
                        >

                        > JT, XE2SI
                        >
                        > stn8378

                      • Juan Tellez
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2011

                          Thanks for your response Dave, yes I think I was in the ”very Busy”

                          side, hope to have it in the air soon.

                          JT

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 25, 2011
                            It really didn't take me long to set this up.

                            I went with ProScan, since I already had it for programming my scanner. I am
                            also using WinAmp for my audio client. It has a nice display and displays tags.

                            I am using SignalLink as a USB sound card. This is the one area that I need to
                            work on. Not that there's anything wrong with SignalLink but this audio
                            connection requires all the volumns turns up to near max. Decent audio
                            though... just not as loud as I'd like. I would prefer the same volume level
                            without having the controls set to max. Anyone have a good audio suggestion?

                            Here is a graphic of the setup (if the link disappears, I will have it in my
                            photo section):

                            http://www.msdsite.com/irlp/Remote_Scanning.jpg

                            I think I will be buying a BCD996XT and make this a permanent setup. Right now
                            I'm using my 396XT and I'd prefer to have that with me.