Nightly System Updates

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
      I believe if the nodes are left on 24/7, there are automagic updates that take place. Is that correct?

      If so, is the /control/index.php updated? The reason I ask is I had a modified file I used and yesterday I noticed it had reverted back to the original (that date was 2009 however). I had been using my modified file for almost a year now and now it's gone.

      Is that index.php file updated?

      Dave,

      A couple of weeks ago, you had an occasion to be looking into my node because of another problem I was having, re long delays to CW ID. Is there any chance you replaced the file, for some reason (i.e. update files)?

      It's no biggie either way. It's easy to change again, if I need it.

      Thanks,

      Mike
      KC7VE

      PS: Looking forward to getting my 2nd node. ;-)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
        The index.php is one of the files that updates automagically. Not sure
        why yours had not updated in many months - Can't explain that one.

        But running "update files" on the node will overwrite whatever file you
        have with the one from the server. It does not update based on dates.

        If you want a file to keep, you have to add it to the

        /home/irlp/custom/update-file-list

        Add an entry --exclude=index.php

        If you have cool things to add to the script, consider sharing them with
        the group, and we may make them part of the base distribution.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
          It probably didn't update because I never left it on 24/7. It was in a vehicle and only was on when driving. This week I moved it to my house, in anticipation of my 2nd node and was doing some testing. It was then left on 24/7. ;-)

          I guess I could just call it something other than index.php (say index2.php) and navigate to that, instead of the index.php file.

          Nothing really cool. I just had a list of reflectors and node numbers
          displayed in columns to the right of the control panel. That way, if I was using the control panel to make connections, I didn't have to keep looking up these node/reflector numbers. No biggie.

          Thanks

          Mike

          > The index.php is one of the files that updates automagically. Not sure
          > why yours had not updated in many months - Can't explain that one.
          >
          > But running "update files" on the node will overwrite whatever file you
          > have with the one from the server. It does not update based on dates.
          >
          > If you want a file to keep, you have to add it to the
          >
          > /home/irlp/custom/update-file-list
          >
          > Add an entry --exclude=index.php
          >
          > If you have cool things to add to the script, consider sharing them with
          > the group, and we may make them part of the base distribution.

          > On 1/18/2011 6:26 AM, ipscone wrote:
          > > I believe if the nodes are left on 24/7, there are automagic updates
          > > that take place. Is that correct?
          > >
          > > If so, is the /control/index.php updated? The reason I ask is I had a
          > > modified file I used and yesterday I noticed it had reverted back to the
          > > original (that date was 2009 however). I had been using my modified file
          > > for almost a year now and now it's gone.
          > >
          > > Is that index.php file updated?
          > >
          > > Dave,
          > >
          > > A couple of weeks ago, you had an occasion to be looking into my node
          > > because of another problem I was having, re long delays to CW ID. Is
          > > there any chance you replaced the file, for some reason (i.e. update files)?
          > >
          > > It's no biggie either way. It's easy to change again, if I need it.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Mike
          > > KC7VE
          > >
          > > PS: Looking forward to getting my 2nd node. ;-)

        • AG0N-3055
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
            On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:49:16 -0800, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

            > If you have cool things to add to the script, consider sharing them with
            > the group, and we may make them part of the base distribution.

            Yes, please. I'm not a php person but have wanted to change the format
            of that page every since it was installed. :o)

            Gary
            --
            http://garymcduffie.com
            3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
              One of the changes I made to our nodes was to use "decode 73" instead of "end" in the remote_admin script.  Although this was primarily for EchoIRLP reasons, there may be other reasons to call decode instead of just end in order to run custom_decode on disconnect.

              I've made several changes/additions to index.php too. Just a few added little features.  Like additional edit file entries for EchoIRLP custom files.  I also added a drop down select list of common or favorite  (SKYWARN) nodes we connect to. The select list is built dynamically from a "weblist" text file, so they can be edited from the edit form, like other files. It just avoids the need to know and type in the DTMF command for these nodes.

              Regards,
              David
              WD5M

              [repeater@wx5fwd scripts]$ diff remote_admin remote_admin.irlp
              46c46
              <       $SCRIPT/decode 73 > /tmp/output 2>&1
              ---

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011
                No biggie. This is what my control panel looks like (index2.php, to avoid updating)

                http://www.msdsite.com/temp/control.jpg

                Mike