Re: [irlp-embedded] private VPN server for my embedded node to use?

  • David Cameron
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
      It is just a PPTPD server. It is something you can install via an RPM.

      There is a lot more to setting it up than just putting the RPM on and turning it on. The issue is setting up the IP range for the DHCP server to setup.

      Dave

      On 09/01/2011 8:24 AM, craiginhouston wrote:

      David Cameron, how difficult would it be to get a copy of the embedded VPN server binary running in Dallas, Vancouver and London and put it on a personal Centos 4 box so that we who have embedded nodes can use a private VPN without tying up bandwidth your servers?

      Our group already has a copy of the echolink proxy server software compiled with the needed JAVA environment and running on several standard IRLP node Centos 4 computers. Once the first person got it compiled for centos 4 then he gave us copies and it runs fine on all of our other node computers.

      Is there any way we can do the same thing with the IRLP VPN server software? Instead of compiling it ourselves just pass around a copy that has already been compiled? I realize that the computer it runs on cannot also be running the node software because of port conflicts. It will have to be a stand-alone Centos 4 box on its own public IP. We would also need an option 4 on the start tunnel script in the embedded nodes to put in a custom IP address of the private VPN server.

      Let me know what you think of this idea.

      Thanks

      Craig
      K1BDX

    • Tim Porter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
        Dave.
         if you would like to make the software, i got space here for the vpn to install on one of my servers so people can use it here.  It could be opened so we could set a limit, so the whole world couldnt connect at the same time .  and then the people that have wireless mobil can use it.
        let me know

        thanks tim
        k4kwq

        Tell me and I will forget. Teach me and I may learn. Involve me and I shall understand. http:k4kwq.dyndns.org, I.R.L.P. 4672, I.R.L.P. Reflector 9305, AllStar 2242.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
          The main issue is routable IP addresses. Each node will need a unique routable IP address. There are not a lot of services around that will allow you several IP addresses (routable).

          I do recall the first ADSL in British Columbia back in 1996 at a friend's house, the more computers we added to the switch, the more IPs we would get.... Up to the maximum of the subnet :)

          We got a phone call after we tested the limit with several computers full of ethernet cards and a 24 port switch :)

          Dave Cameron