Re: [irlp-embedded] What is the best way to upgrade?

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 23, 2010
      Glenn,

      There have been a number of issues with the CentOS 5.4 build and IRLP.
      There is a random lockup that can't be found, and a number of other
      stability issues.

      Is minicom all you want to be able to do? The embedded nodes include
      minicom, and the ability to upload DTMF macro files to it.

      What else does 5.4 do that you want?

      On 12/23/2010 7:51 AM, wa7spy wrote:
      > I have IRLP embedded node 3880. It is one of the earlier embedded nodes.
      > What would be the best way to upgrade the box so a full blown version of
      > CentOS 5.4 for IRLP can be used? More memory and bigger flash drive?
      >
      > I am using the minicom feature for a RCL Club Deluxe II controller. It
      > is very nice to be able to remotely control the repeater system via
      > Putty using minicom from the embedded box.
      >
      > What is suggested?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Glenn Maclean WA7SPY

    • w7jwc
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28 3:39 PM

        I have an old embedded node. Its 3122. What is the best option to upgrade.

        Jeff

        W7JWC

        ---In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, <dcameron@...> wrote:

        Glenn,

        There have been a number of issues with the CentOS 5.4 build and IRLP.
        There is a random lockup that can't be found, and a number of other
        stability issues.

        Is minicom all you want to be able to do? The embedded nodes include
        minicom, and the ability to upload DTMF macro files to it.

        What else does 5.4 do that you want?

        On 12/23/2010 7:51 AM, wa7spy wrote:
        > I have IRLP embedded node 3880. It is one of the earlier embedded nodes.
        > What would be the best way to upgrade the box so a full blown version of
        > CentOS 5.4 for IRLP can be used? More memory and bigger flash drive?
        >
        > I am using the minicom feature for a RCL Club Deluxe II controller. It
        > is very nice to be able to remotely control the repeater system via
        > Putty using minicom from the embedded box.
        >
        > What is suggested?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Glenn Maclean WA7SPY

      • Dave Schultheis
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28 4:13 PM
          Jeff JWC wrote:

          > I have an old embedded node. Its 3122. What is the best option to upgrade.

          My first question would be, Is it working? If the answer is yes, then
          perhaps you do not need to upgrade.

          My second question would be, Upgrade to what?

          Dave Schultheis
          WB6KHP San Jose

          IRLP 3246
          EchoLink 525493
        • David Cameron
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28 6:51 PM
            As Dave mentions in his email - There really is no upgrade to the embedded node. The only "side-grade" as it is not an upgrade, would be to replace the flash drive with a larger one, and run a full version of Debian on it. The only thing that will do is make it able to run some more scripts.

            Other than that, the embedded node you have is the ultimate in reliability.

            On 28/09/2013 4:13 PM, Dave Schultheis wrote:

            Jeff JWC wrote:

            > I have an old embedded node. Its 3122. What is the best option to upgrade.

            My first question would be, Is it working? If the answer is yes, then
            perhaps you do not need to upgrade.

            My second question would be, Upgrade to what?

            Dave Schultheis
            WB6KHP San Jose

            IRLP 3246
            EchoLink 525493

          • Barrett
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29 3:58 PM
              Hello what we are trying to do with node 3122 is add more functions to it. We would like to get the k6ib Irlpvcon, irlpvaux installed. Now when we do a backup for reinstall the script will run fine but it will not create a backup file although it says that one is created. We have use winscp to explore the node it shows the folder and that there is something in there but we do not see a file.

              Thanks for any and all help

              KG7CHJ
            • David Cameron
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29 4:08 PM
                In order to get IRLPvCON etc to work, you will have to downgrade to an old and now unsupported operating system (CentOS 4.X) in order to use it. You will also have to purchase a larger flash drive (at least 2 gigs) to replace the current one.

                The backup_for_reinstall will not work on the embedded nodes. However, since you will have both flash drives (you can not overwrite the current one with CentOS - it is way too small) you will be able to get assiatnce copying over the PGP key from your old system to the new one.

                You will also need an IDE CDrom drive to install the operating system.

                On 29/09/2013 3:58 PM, Barrett wrote:

                Hello what we are trying to do with node 3122 is add more functions to it. We would like to get the k6ib Irlpvcon, irlpvaux installed. Now when we do a backup for reinstall the script will run fine but it will not create a backup file although it says that one is created. We have use winscp to explore the node it shows the folder and that there is something in there but we do not see a file.

                Thanks for any and all help

                KG7CHJ

              • Rick Bates
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29 7:25 PM
                  FYI Dave,

                  Irlpvcon installs and runs properly on CentOS 6.x, but I'm using a full install on an Atom with a solid state drive, not a flash drive.

                  73,
                  Rick wa6nhc

                  Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 29 8:14 PM
                      The audio is exactly why I had to put some brute force (script: "set the audio source to THAT input" and a couple links) in many often run scripts (and cron).  If I get bored, I'll try to find an elegant solution but it's working.  The new audio code is a blistering pita for what we need but CentOS 4 or 5 wouldn't install.  [The Atom draws ~12 watts at 12v and replaced a huge P2 desktop.]

                      My last resort was to go Debian, but it would be major rewrites of the scripts I frequently use (CWID, wx, EchoIRLP and irlpvcon) and I simply didn't have the motivation or time.  Maybe I'll play this winter.

                      This is a long way of saying I get why you went the way you did but I already know CentOS and didn't want the OS learning (or script work) curve.  ;-)  I also wanted consistency with my other node (happily running 4.x).

                      I'm guessing the differences for apache 2 are file/folder locations.  The quick and dirty fix (ugly) would be links.  Yuck.

                      I have my OS install notes here (someplace) if they are of interest or help to you.