Dead Node

  • Tim - WD6AWP
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
      My imbedded node died. The power and disk activity lights on the front do not light. The lights in the Ethernet RJ45 do light and blink. There is no boot up message, no post, nothing just a black screen. The power brick is ok, putting out 12.5 Vdc.

      How do I get this fixed? Do you think its the internal power supply board?

      TIA for any help,
      --
      Tim, WD6AWP
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2010
        Do you know which power supply option you are using with your system?
        Did you pay extra for a "DC supply" when you ordered it?

        It could be a problem with the power supply board or it could be a
        problem with the motherboard.

        I do repairs on the systems for the actual costs (to me) of the
        components plus the return shipping cost.

        If it needs a motherboard - $165
        If it needs a PS board - $40 (for base), $75 (for special DC supply)

        The shipping is usually about $25 - $30.

        I would open it up and have a look at the PS board. Is there anything
        obviously "smoked"? Are there any components hot to the touch?

        http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm

        You can also probe the ATX connector and find out what voltages the
        supply should have when turned off (purple wire - 5VDC standby). These
        are what would give you lights on the ethernet port, whether the
        computer is powered on or not. If those are not coming from the supply,
        then there is likely a problem with the PS.

        Another thing you can try is taking a good old ATX power supply from an
        old computer and plugging it into the motherboard, and trying to power
        it on. That would rule out a problem with the mobo.

        If it is the PS board, send me a picture of the board you have, and I
        will send you just a replacement PS. It is much cheaper than sending the
        unit back and forth.

        On 12/9/2010 10:19 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:
        > My imbedded node died. The power and disk activity lights on the front
        > do not light. The lights in the Ethernet RJ45 do light and blink. There
        > is no boot up message, no post, nothing just a black screen. The power
        > brick is ok, putting out 12.5 Vdc.
        >
        > How do I get this fixed? Do you think its the internal power supply board?
        >
        > TIA for any help,
        > --
        > Tim, WD6AWP

      • Tim - WD6AWP
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
          There is nothing obviously smoked or running hot. What powers the system on? The green wire (power supply on) is at +5 volts all the time.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
            Well the power supply is turned on my grounding the green wire.

            You should check the purple wire (I think it is purple), as that
            supplies +5V to the motherboard to power all of its standby circuits.

            The "power switch" on the node should, though circuitry in the
            motherboard, ground the green wire and power on the motherboard.

            The best way to test between a PS failure and a motherboard failure is
            to use the PS from any ATX power supply. There is likely a local ham
            with a spare one someplace.

            Dave Cameron

            On 12/10/2010 8:34 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:
            > There is nothing obviously smoked or running hot. What powers the system
            > on? The green wire (power supply on) is at +5 volts all the time.
            >
            > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
            > <dcameron@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Do you know which power supply option you are using with your system?
            > > Did you pay extra for a "DC supply" when you ordered it?
            > >
            > > It could be a problem with the power supply board or it could be a
            > > problem with the motherboard.
            > >
            > > I do repairs on the systems for the actual costs (to me) of the
            > > components plus the return shipping cost.
            > >
            > > If it needs a motherboard - $165
            > > If it needs a PS board - $40 (for base), $75 (for special DC supply)
            > >
            > > The shipping is usually about $25 - $30.
            > >
            > > I would open it up and have a look at the PS board. Is there anything
            > > obviously "smoked"? Are there any components hot to the touch?
            > >
            > > http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm
            > >
            > > You can also probe the ATX connector and find out what voltages the
            > > supply should have when turned off (purple wire - 5VDC standby). These
            > > are what would give you lights on the ethernet port, whether the
            > > computer is powered on or not. If those are not coming from the supply,
            > > then there is likely a problem with the PS.
            > >
            > > Another thing you can try is taking a good old ATX power supply from an
            > > old computer and plugging it into the motherboard, and trying to power
            > > it on. That would rule out a problem with the mobo.
            > >
            > > If it is the PS board, send me a picture of the board you have, and I
            > > will send you just a replacement PS. It is much cheaper than sending the
            > > unit back and forth.
            > >
            > > Dave Cameron
            > > VE7LTD
            > >

            > > On 12/9/2010 10:19 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:
            > > > My imbedded node died. The power and disk activity lights on the front
            > > > do not light. The lights in the Ethernet RJ45 do light and blink. There
            > > > is no boot up message, no post, nothing just a black screen. The power
            > > > brick is ok, putting out 12.5 Vdc.
            > > >
            > > > How do I get this fixed? Do you think its the internal power supply
            > board?
            > > >
            > > > TIA for any help,
            > > > --
            > > > Tim, WD6AWP

          • Tim - WD6AWP
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
              Looks like it's the motherboard. The stand by voltage on the purple wire is there. I grounded the green wire and the LEDs on the IRLP interface come on but still no boot up. I found and tried another power supply and again the LEDs on the interface board come on but no boot up.

              I think I'll check out the cost to ship it to you. What's the address I should ship to?

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                You should try to remove any "extras" from the board - The flash device,
                the RAM, any peripherals connected - and try again.

                It sounds like a dead mobo - But what caused it is the mystery....

                Dave Cameron

                On 12/10/2010 10:03 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:

              • Tim Sawyer, WD6AWP
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                  Not so much a mystery. I found a screw floating around inside. It came
                  off the power supply. All the screws on the power supply board were
                  loose but only the one came completely loose.

                  On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM, David Cameron (IRLP)
                  <dcameron@...> wrote:
                  > You should try to remove any "extras" from the board - The flash device, the
                  > RAM, any peripherals connected - and try again.
                  >
                  > It sounds like a dead mobo - But what caused it is the mystery....
                  >
                  > Dave Cameron
                  >
                  > On 12/10/2010 10:03 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:
                  >>
                  >>  > On 12/10/2010 8:34 AM, Tim - WD6AWP wrote:

                  --
                  :wq
                  Tim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                    Dave helped me get this fixed. The problem turned out to be a dead coin battery.

                    This box (one of Dave's early fanless units) has no power switch and the BIOS tells it to auto-power on. But the BIOS settings disappeared during the last power failure at the site and so the node never came back on line. Pins 6 & 8 on the header left of the memory must be temporally shorted to power up the system. Reconfigured the BIOS and all's well again.