Re: I/O on the Embedded Node - is it legal?

  • craiginhouston
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2010
      I think you are asking if sending touch tone commands over ham radio to remotely control devices with your IRLP node computer is legal.

      In the United States the answer is YES. In fact, that's what the Amateur Radio Service was created for.

      See FCC regulation 97.1 b, c and d at the links below:

      http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio
      http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Part97_SinglePage.pdf

      The FCC has created a special class of amateur radio station called an Auxiliary Station which authorizes you to make one way transmissions for touch tone commanding and also getting telemetry back.

      see FCC regulation 97.201 for the rules regarding Auxiliary stations.

      FCC rule 97.111 b3 specifically authorizes you to send "telecommands" which is what you are doing when you send touch tones to control a remote device.

      FCC rule 97.111 b7 Authorizes you to have your remote IRLP computer send you data back.

      Hope this helps.

      Have fun and when you get something working, tell us how you did it.

      Craig
      K1BDX