Re: [irlp-embedded] I/O on the Embedded Node

  • AG0N-3055
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2010
      On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:05:51 -0800, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

      > The AUX outputs from the IRLP board are designed to do just what
      > you talk about.

      Except those are one way devices, and won't work for your "sensing"
      things from outside and sending you a "radio message". You would
      probably have to design that yourself and write a small script.

      Gary
      --
      http://garymcduffie.com
      3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2010
        There are lots of ways to sense from the outside as well, as you could
        use serial input. I have a script that sends the word "powerout" out the
        serial port every second. I then have a normally closed relay between
        pins 2 and 3 on the serial port, that is powered from a 120VAC outlet.

        I read the serial port every second as well.

        If the word "powerout" appears on the serial port input, I know the
        power is out at the repeater site :)

        Dave

        On 11/23/2010 1:13 PM, AG0N-3055 wrote:
        > On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:05:51 -0800, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:
        >
        > > The AUX outputs from the IRLP board are designed to do just what
        > > you talk about.
        >
        > Except those are one way devices, and won't work for your "sensing"
        > things from outside and sending you a "radio message". You would
        > probably have to design that yourself and write a small script.
        >
        > Gary
        > --
        > http://garymcduffie.com
        > 3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
        > NodeOp Help Page: http://garymcduffie.com/irlp

      • craiginhouston
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2010
          I think you are asking if sending touch tone commands over ham radio to remotely control devices with your IRLP node computer is legal.

          In the United States the answer is YES. In fact, that's what the Amateur Radio Service was created for.

          See FCC regulation 97.1 b, c and d at the links below:

          http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio
          http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Part97_SinglePage.pdf

          The FCC has created a special class of amateur radio station called an Auxiliary Station which authorizes you to make one way transmissions for touch tone commanding and also getting telemetry back.

          see FCC regulation 97.201 for the rules regarding Auxiliary stations.

          FCC rule 97.111 b3 specifically authorizes you to send "telecommands" which is what you are doing when you send touch tones to control a remote device.

          FCC rule 97.111 b7 Authorizes you to have your remote IRLP computer send you data back.

          Hope this helps.

          Have fun and when you get something working, tell us how you did it.

          Craig
          K1BDX