Re: [irlp-embedded] I/O on the Embedded Node

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2010
      Legalities? I have no idea.

      The AUX outputs from the IRLP board are designed to do just what you
      talk about. Currently AUX1 is likely being used as a secondary PTT register.

      But the command

      aux2on

      will ground pin 4 of the IRLP DB-9

      aux2off

      will return it to high impedence state.

      People use this to control relays, fans, etc. On my systems, I use the
      AUX pins to control the power output on my repeater. Some people use
      them to change the channel remotely on a radio.

      There are three aux pins numbered 1 2 3.

      In order to use them from DTMF, have a look at the file

      /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode

      Everything you will need to make your own custom codes are there.

      Dave Cameron

      On 11/23/2010 12:38 PM, ipscone wrote:
      > I haven't taken a look at the interfaces since I got my node about a
      > year and a half ago. But it occurred to me that I might use some of the
      > DTMF tones to control scripts, that communicate with I/O.
      >
      > One thought would be to remotely turn on a video camera, for
      > surveillance or to turn on an alarm. Or conversely, to use an input to
      > sense something and send me a radio message.
      >
      > Some of this might not be strictly legal. But if I can send a DTMF
      > control to speak the time to me, it's not much of a stretch for a switch
      > closure to send me a "intrusion" voice alert.
      >
      > What kind of I/O is possible on the Embedded node, if any? I think there
      > is a minimum of serial and parallel but I haven't looked into it to see
      > how the control is done? Ideas?
      >
      > What are the legalities of sending such warnings or controls?
      >
      > Mike
      > KC7VE
      > Node: 4581

    • AG0N-3055
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2010
        On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:05:51 -0800, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

        > The AUX outputs from the IRLP board are designed to do just what
        > you talk about.

        Except those are one way devices, and won't work for your "sensing"
        things from outside and sending you a "radio message". You would
        probably have to design that yourself and write a small script.

        Gary
        --
        http://garymcduffie.com
        3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2010
          There are lots of ways to sense from the outside as well, as you could
          use serial input. I have a script that sends the word "powerout" out the
          serial port every second. I then have a normally closed relay between
          pins 2 and 3 on the serial port, that is powered from a 120VAC outlet.

          I read the serial port every second as well.

          If the word "powerout" appears on the serial port input, I know the
          power is out at the repeater site :)

          Dave

          On 11/23/2010 1:13 PM, AG0N-3055 wrote:
          > On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:05:51 -0800, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:
          >
          > > The AUX outputs from the IRLP board are designed to do just what
          > > you talk about.
          >
          > Except those are one way devices, and won't work for your "sensing"
          > things from outside and sending you a "radio message". You would
          > probably have to design that yourself and write a small script.
          >
          > Gary
          > --
          > http://garymcduffie.com
          > 3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
          > NodeOp Help Page: http://garymcduffie.com/irlp

        • craiginhouston
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2010
            I think you are asking if sending touch tone commands over ham radio to remotely control devices with your IRLP node computer is legal.

            In the United States the answer is YES. In fact, that's what the Amateur Radio Service was created for.

            See FCC regulation 97.1 b, c and d at the links below:

            http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio
            http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Part97_SinglePage.pdf

            The FCC has created a special class of amateur radio station called an Auxiliary Station which authorizes you to make one way transmissions for touch tone commanding and also getting telemetry back.

            see FCC regulation 97.201 for the rules regarding Auxiliary stations.

            FCC rule 97.111 b3 specifically authorizes you to send "telecommands" which is what you are doing when you send touch tones to control a remote device.

            FCC rule 97.111 b7 Authorizes you to have your remote IRLP computer send you data back.

            Hope this helps.

            Have fun and when you get something working, tell us how you did it.

            Craig
            K1BDX