Re: Why does remote connection mostly fail?

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
      That feature uses the DNS system that IRLP runs on. When your node changes IP addresses, it takes a bit of time to catch up. The change is instant, but some DNS servers cache the data for longer than the 60 seconds it is told to.

      It could be the connection you are using as well. Your ISP could be firewalling incoming traffic during periods of no outgoing traffic. Truly most ISPs stipulate that you can not run "server" applications on your residential connections.

      You should look at resolving the hostname

      stnxxxx.ip.irlp.net

      to an IP address, and then compare that IP to what your system's IP actually is. You may find that your node's IP changes so rapidly, that there is no way to keep up with it.

      Dave Cameron

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

      > I use the
      >
      > http://stnxxxx.ip.irlp.net/control/
      >
      > to control my node remotely. But lately I'm finding it can never connect. No matter which computer I try to connect, about 75% of the time it gives me an error or popup saying "could not connect to server".
      >
      > About 25% of the time it works just fine.
      >
      > Why?

    • ipscone
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
        As long as I know what's going on, I can deal with it. It's a node in a vehicle so the IP changes very often, I imagine.

        Thanks,
        Mike