Embedded Node Rack Mount Option - A Question

  • David
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2010
      The Wakefield & District Radio Society in Northern England operates an IRLP/Echolink Simplex Node (MB7IWR:5918:318283) and is proposing to replace the existing high power consumption equipment with an Embedded Node. Before we place the order, I have a couple of questions. On the IRLP/Embedded Site the following is shown:

      - 1RU 19" rack case (+ $150)
      - Only 10" deep, 1 rack unit high
      - Lightweight aluminum
      - Requires special power supply option (+ $75) if run greater than 12V

      '19" rack case' - is this the entire rack mount case which can hold several units (node, rig, etc) or simply one rack unit which has to be fitted into a standard 19" rack case?

      - "13.8 Volt DC Input" option (+ $75)
      - Allows any case to run from standard 13.8V power supply
      - Input voltage range from 6V to 24V DC
      - Perfect for being powered from a vehicle or at the repeater site
      - Includes 100-240VAC-to-12VDC converter

      There are some possible contradictions here. First, it says "Input Voltage Range from 6V to 24V DC" but then goes on to say "Includes 100-240VAC-to-12VDC converter". Which is true? I need to know if this option would supply all our 12//13.8V needs from our 240VAC supply or do we need an external 13.8VDC supply too? What is the current output of this option? We're proposing to use an Icom IC-2200H as the node radio.

      Thanks in advance and 73

      Dave G4CLI
      Node Operator MB7IWR:IRLP-5918:EchoIRLP-318283
      Wakefield & District Radio Society
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2010
        Dave G4CLI wrote...

        > - 1RU 19" rack case (+ $150)
        > - Only 10" deep, 1 rack unit high
        > - Lightweight aluminum
        > - Requires special power supply option (+ $75) if run greater than 12V
        >
        > "19" rack case' - is this the entire rack mount case which can hold several units (node,
        > rig, etc) or simply one rack unit which has to be fitted into a standard 19" rack case?

        It is an embedded node in a 1U rack mount case. If there was nothing above the node
        in the rack, I suppose you could use the top of the case as a "shelf" for the radio to sit.

        > - "13.8 Volt DC Input" option (+ $75)
        > - Allows any case to run from standard 13.8V power supply
        > - Input voltage range from 6V to 24V DC
        > - Perfect for being powered from a vehicle or at the repeater site
        > - Includes 100-240VAC-to-12VDC converter
        >
        > There are some possible contradictions here. First, it says "Input Voltage Range from
        > 6V to 24V DC" but then goes on to say "Includes 100-240VAC-to-12VDC converter".
        > Which is true?

        Both statements are true. The standard power supply can be run from the included AC adapter.
        If you want to be able to run it from a higher voltage, get the special power supply. You
        can connect it to a 6v - 24V source. However, it will come with an AC adapter, which you can
        use,... or not. If you intend to run the node from e.g. a 13.8V supply, the supplied AC adapter
        won't be used.

        The "power supply" mounts inside the node case. It provides 5V and 12V to the computer.

        The AC adapter is a small "brick" that connects to the AC supply and feeds "12V" to
        the node computer.

        The "13.8V supply" replaces the standard one inside the node. It powers the node only
        and nothing else.

        > I need to know if this option would supply all our 12//13.8V needs from our 240VAC
        > supply or do we need an external 13.8VDC supply too? What is the current output of this
        > option? We're proposing to use an Icom IC-2200H as the node radio.

        The node power supply won't run anything else. If you have a power supply which connects
        to 240VAC and can provide power to a radio, it could also power the node... if you get the
        optional power supply. It mounts inside the node and allows you to power the node from
        something other than the AC adapter.