Making use of the Node Serial Interface

  • g8amd
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi,

      Has anyone tried using the Serial Port on one of Dave Cameron's Embedded IRLP Node controllers. I have an ARCOM RC210 Repeater at the site of the proposed GB3BM IRLP node 5702. I wish to employ the Serial interface to access the ARCOM RC210 programming DB25 port, to enable me to program the RC210 remotely over the internet without recourse to visiting the site and doing this locally. I found a neat free sourced utilty called Remserial which can be downloaded from http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/ . The compiled binary requires floating point support which does not seem to be available on the node Linux system.

      Has anyone tried this before or am I the first to attempt it? I assume that the relevant GLIBC objects are not currently available though I can't, really fathom out whether the Remserial source should need other than Integer types, though I would need to trawl throuch the include files to establish that. However if I compile the source against GLIBC 2.5, when I run the Binary on the node I get a Floating Point Exception. Maybe just an overide of the SIGFPT exception would do it, so can anyone help here please.

      http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/

      Best Regards Hayden Bate (G8AMD)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        Why not use the built in minicom utility to access the serial port directly?

        You can export and import data "files" from RLC controllers this way (I have done this many times).

        Is there some program specific for configuring the ARCOM controllers?

        As for the floating point support, I am not sure why it would not work. Perhaps the kernel is compiled without the support, but I doubt it.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "g8amd" <g8amd@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anyone tried using the Serial Port on one of Dave Cameron's Embedded IRLP Node controllers. I have an ARCOM RC210 Repeater at the site of the proposed GB3BM IRLP node 5702. I wish to employ the Serial interface to access the ARCOM RC210 programming DB25 port, to enable me to program the RC210 remotely over the internet without recourse to visiting the site and doing this locally. I found a neat free sourced utilty called Remserial which can be downloaded from http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/ . The compiled binary requires floating point support which does not seem to be available on the node Linux system.
        >
        > Has anyone tried this before or am I the first to attempt it? I assume that the relevant GLIBC objects are not currently available though I can't, really fathom out whether the Remserial source should need other than Integer types, though I would need to trawl throuch the include files to establish that. However if I compile the source against GLIBC 2.5, when I run the Binary on the node I get a Floating Point Exception. Maybe just an overide of the SIGFPT exception would do it, so can anyone help here please.
        >
        > http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/
        >
        > Best Regards Hayden Bate (G8AMD)

      • craiginhouston
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
          I have been using the serial port of the embedded node to control Icom radios with a $9 serial to CI-V adapter cable on ebay.

          First I set the baud rate of the serial port with this command:

          stty -F/dev/ttyS0 9600

          Then to send an octal 376 out the serial port I use this command:

          echo -e -n '\376' > /dev/ttyS0

          You should be able to send text with this command:

          echo "hello test" > /dev/ttyS0

          Here is the link from last years post:

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "g8amd" <g8amd@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Has anyone tried using the Serial Port on one of Dave Cameron's Embedded IRLP Node controllers. I have an ARCOM RC210 Repeater at the site of the proposed GB3BM IRLP node 5702. I wish to employ the Serial interface to access the ARCOM RC210 programming DB25 port, to enable me to program the RC210 remotely over the internet without recourse to visiting the site and doing this locally. I found a neat free sourced utilty called Remserial which can be downloaded from http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/ . The compiled binary requires floating point support which does not seem to be available on the node Linux system.
          >
          > Has anyone tried this before or am I the first to attempt it? I assume that the relevant GLIBC objects are not currently available though I can't, really fathom out whether the Remserial source should need other than Integer types, though I would need to trawl throuch the include files to establish that. However if I compile the source against GLIBC 2.5, when I run the Binary on the node I get a Floating Point Exception. Maybe just an overide of the SIGFPT exception would do it, so can anyone help here please.
          >
          > http://lpccomp.bc.ca/remserial/
          >
          > Best Regards Hayden Bate (G8AMD)

        • Donald Jacob
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
            Yes, I use it to talk to the RLC-4 controller. I use minicom and it works great.

            Don WB5EKU