time is off

  • k5mes
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
      I have a embedded irlp node #4273 that I got from VE7LTD.
      The time was correct on it but I had to send it back to dave for repairs
      and since I got it back, the time is 30 minutes off.
      Does anyone know how to go into the node and set the time??

      Harold
      K5MES
      Node 4273
    • AG0N-3055
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
        On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:31:40 -0000, k5mes wrote:

        > I have a embedded irlp node #4273 that I got from VE7LTD.
        > The time was correct on it but I had to send it back to dave for repairs
        > and since I got it back, the time is 30 minutes off.
        > Does anyone know how to go into the node and set the time??

        http://garymcduffie.com/irlp/setclock.html

        Gary
        --
        http://garymcduffie.com
        3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
          There is a problem with the server used to sync time. It needs to be changed on the nodes:

          pico /usr/sbin/set-time

          change the name

          time.ubc.ca

          time.irlp.net

          Save the file and run

          set-time
          flash_sync

          That will make sure your node has the latest time server script available.

          Dave Cameron

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
            Actually the server may be ntp.ubc.ca, I don't remember.

            Dave

            On 9/21/2010 4:40 PM, ve7ltd wrote:

            > There is a problem with the server used to sync time. It needs to be
            > changed on the nodes:
            >
            > pico /usr/sbin/set-time
            >
            > change the name
            >
            > time.ubc.ca

            > time.irlp.net
            >
            > Save the file and run
            >
            > set-time
            > flash_sync
            >
            > That will make sure your node has the latest time server script available.
            >
            > Dave Cameron
            >
            > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, AG0N-3055 <mcduffie@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:31:40 -0000, k5mes wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have a embedded irlp node #4273 that I got from VE7LTD.
            > > > The time was correct on it but I had to send it back to dave for
            > repairs
            > > > and since I got it back, the time is 30 minutes off.
            > > > Does anyone know how to go into the node and set the time??
            > >
            > > http://garymcduffie.com/irlp/setclock.html
            > >
            > > Gary
            > > --
            > > http://garymcduffie.com
            > > 3055: http:// garymcduffie.com/irlp/3055
            > > NodeOp Help Page: http://garymcduffie.com/irlp

          • Donald Jacob
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
              Dave,
              I keep getting the error message

              rdate: timeout for time.irlp.net

              and the time is about 5 minutes off on the fast side.

              It is an embedded node.

              73
              Don  WB5EKU

              node 3830

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:40:05 -0000, ve7ltd wrote:

                > That will make sure your node has the latest time server script available.

                Dave, is the info I am giving now incorrect, or is this an embedded
                problem?
                10 6 * * * root /usr/bin/rdate -s time.ncsu.edu &>/dev/null 2>&1

                Thanks.

                Gary
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                  You must have a problem with your node, because all of the rdate servers
                  are responding correctly.

                  Is there a firewall blocking the traffic on your connection?

                  Dave Cameron

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                    Yours will still work, but the embedded nodes have a script that is
                    designed to sync to a server that has been removed. But if time.ncsu.edu
                    decides to drop the service, you will have the same problem I had.

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                      Dave,
                      Traffic works fine. I have the ports on the router set and it has been
                      up for 225 or so days now and able to connect, audio sounds good.

                      Thanks
                      Don WB5EKU
                      Node 3830

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                        Well you ISP must be blocking access to the rdate port TCP 37, because
                        it is working fine.

                        What happens when you type the command

                        rdate time.irlp.net

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 21, 2010
                          Dave,
                          the rdate command times out.
                          Yes it must be blocked. The node lives at the repeater site and we get
                          internet from the site owner. I will check and see if he will open
                          port 37 TCP for the node.

                          Thanks
                          Don WB5EKU