IRLP and Portable Repeater

  • r gilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2010
      Hi to All:
          Being a new member and a current owner of node 4491, which is used to link four  927 repeaters to the internet, I have decided to build a "suit case" 440 repeater with a IRLP or Echolink/IRLP node.  This will be used for emergency communications or when the 440 goes down. I understand that some members have located processor boards and are using a USB stick to do the same thing.  Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I would appreciate any links or info where I can get these boards and hardware.  Tnx again for your help.
      73's
      WA2WWK   Ron

    • Donald Jacob
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2010
        Ron,
        Instead of a USB stick, you might want to try a Compact Flash card and an IDE to CF adaptor. I have that running on my home node with mini-ITX board and works great. I do know of others that use this setup and it works great. Not expensive at all and I think a bit more reliable than a USB stick.

        Don  WB5EKU
        Nodes 3830, 3903

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2010
          Don:
                  Many thanks for you idea.  Where did you get the board and approx how $ did the board cost?  I have most of the repeater done and hope to get started soon with the IRLP part.  Tnx again.
          Ron
          WA2WWK   Node 4491

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2010
            < http://www.buyextras.com/syhiquidetoc1.html?gclid=CNG_y4m94KMCFQsTawodUH3I6A

            BTW - I'd have both the CF-IDE adapter and the USB stick, - or
            at least a USB female connector on the front panel of the
            portable repeater box.  This lets you plug in a USB
            stick when you want to transfer files on or off of the unit.

            Mike WA6ILQ
            A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2010

              Ron,
              I bought the IDE to CF at Fry's.. frys.com will get you there if you don't have one near you.
              They also have the CF cards and usually have them on sale..

              Good Luck
              WB5EKU