Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: Can I mount a USB storage device.

  • KR6WP.ilrp
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2010
      Dave have you considered offering the IRLP distro(s) as a bootable ISO on a USB thumbdrive type device?

      Jim G
      KR6WP

      On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:06 PM, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

      Yes, you can, but you have to manually load the modules for both the USB controller and the usb-storage:

      # Loads the CF card drivers
      insmod ehci-hcd
      insmod scsi_mod
      insmod sd_mod
      insmod usb-storage
      mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card

      If it is a high speed USB device (like most are), also include ehci-hcd

      You may also have to play around with the USB settings in the BIOS.

      Dave

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "g8amd" <g8amd@...> wrote:

      > Is it possible to mount a USB memory stick on the current IRLP embedded controllers.
      > This would a usefull way to transfer data and provide some additional extra storage. Also can an external USB connected hard drive be mounted and formatted ?
      >
      > I have looked in /DEV and I notice there are a number of devices in /DEV/USB and further info on these would be useful, if a suitable mount point could used in such as /MNT/USB.
      >
      > Thanks

    • g8amd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
        I have followed Dave's suggestions but as of now to no avail. Loading ehci-hcd causes a fatal kernel crash. After I took a look using LSMOD it appears that the module was already resident. Trying varios conbinations suggested again, no, joy. Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card resulted in the error that the dev was not a block device. I am going back to look in the Linux Bible to see whether additional params are needed as effectively one is mounting a file system on a USB storage device so may be the -t <file type> needs to be used. I am running out of ideas but to be able to mount an external piece of storage via the usb port is quite important for me.

        In my case the usb stick was already formatted in VFAT.

        Dave aslo suggested exploring the use of usb-ohci and usb-uhci. In the former case that one was missing from the kernal/drivers.

        Anyone done this successfully please ? Also, are there any bios changes that are needed via the Phoenix Bios Setup ?

        Many 73's Hayden Bate G8AMD

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "KR6WP.ilrp" <kr6wp.ilrp@...> wrote:

        > Dave have you considered offering the IRLP distro(s) as a bootable ISO on a USB thumbdrive type device?
        >

        > Jim G
        > KR6WP
        >
        > On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:06 PM, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Yes, you can, but you have to manually load the modules for both the USB controller and the usb-storage:
        > >
        > > # Loads the CF card drivers
        > > insmod ehci-hcd
        > > insmod scsi_mod
        > > insmod sd_mod
        > > insmod usb-storage
        > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
        > >
        > > If it is a high speed USB device (like most are), also include ehci-hcd
        > >
        > > You may also have to play around with the USB settings in the BIOS.
        > >
        > > Dave
        > >
        > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "g8amd" <g8amd@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is it possible to mount a USB memory stick on the current IRLP embedded controllers.
        > > > This would a usefull way to transfer data and provide some additional extra storage. Also can an external USB connected hard drive be mounted and formatted ?
        > > >
        > > > I have looked in /DEV and I notice there are a number of devices in /DEV/USB and further info on these would be useful, if a suitable mount point could used in such as /MNT/USB.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks

      • g8amd
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2010
          Here we go, bad practice, repling to my own message. I have come to the conclusion that really a Kernel upgrade is needed, maybe from 2.4 fo 2.6 + . that's a problem on embedded-irlp. Maybe I am talking S**T here ?

          Dave, is a kernel upgrade available, or am
          I totally out of order here ?

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "g8amd" <g8amd@...> wrote:

          > I have followed Dave's suggestions but as of now to no avail. Loading ehci-hcd causes a fatal kernel crash. After I took a look using LSMOD it appears that the module was already resident. Trying varios conbinations suggested again, no, joy. Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card resulted in the error that the dev was not a block device. I am going back to look in the Linux Bible to see whether additional params are needed as effectively one is mounting a file system on a USB storage device so may be the -t <file type> needs to be used. I am running out of ideas but to be able to mount an external piece of storage via the usb port is quite important for me.
          >
          > In my case the usb stick was already formatted in VFAT.
          >
          > Dave aslo suggested exploring the use of usb-ohci and usb-uhci. In the former case that one was missing from the kernal/drivers.
          >
          > Anyone done this successfully please ? Also, are there any bios changes that are needed via the Phoenix Bios Setup ?
          >
          > Many 73's Hayden Bate G8AMD
          >
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "KR6WP.ilrp" <kr6wp.ilrp@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dave have you considered offering the IRLP distro(s) as a bootable ISO on a USB thumbdrive type device?
          > >

          > > Jim G
          > > KR6WP
          > >
          > > On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:06 PM, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Yes, you can, but you have to manually load the modules for both the USB controller and the usb-storage:
          > > >
          > > > # Loads the CF card drivers
          > > > insmod ehci-hcd
          > > > insmod scsi_mod
          > > > insmod sd_mod
          > > > insmod usb-storage
          > > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
          > > >
          > > > If it is a high speed USB device (like most are), also include ehci-hcd
          > > >
          > > > You may also have to play around with the USB settings in the BIOS.
          > > >
          > > > Dave

        • douglas warren
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2010
            yes you can

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
              Yes that is a major issue. The kernel that is running is chosen for a reason: to support the hardware available on the system with minimal overhead and space.

              If you truly want to do a bunch of extras with the node, I would suggest installing a large flash drive, and replacing it with a more complete linux build, like CentOS 4.8, and using it that way.

              The embedded systems I make are specifically small and compact for a reason - reliability.

              Dave Cameron