Re: [irlp-embedded] New update to kernel for those running problematic 2G flash drives on CentOS 5!

  • David Cameron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2010
      Good point on the flash_sync thing. I was not thinking.

      From: "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
      Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:24:24 -0700
      To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] New update to kernel for those running problematic 2G flash drives on CentOS 5!

      Dave VE7LTD wrote...

      > It seems that a recent update to the CentOS 5 kernel has
      > solved the problems I was seeing with the parallel port
      > processes taking up a lot of processor time...

      I'm only aware of one problem (maybe two) since I upgraded to
      the 2 GB flash drive / CentOS 5. The node stopped responding
      once a few months back. I power cycled it and it has fine since.
      The other instance was when I realized that there was no outgoing
      audio to a reflector that I was connected to. Disonnecting and
      re-connecting took care of it.

      > Currently kernel updates are blocked in the yum.conf file. The
      > line that blocks them is:
      >
      > exclude=kernel* grub redhat-logos
      >
      > To unblock them, just remove the kernel* from the line so it reads:
      >
      > exclude=grub redhat-logos

      Done... once I stopped trying to do it as repeater!

      > Once this has been changed, run yum to update the kernel (and
      > other files):
      >
      > yum update
      >
      > Once the update is complete, please re-insert the kernel* into
      > the exclude in the yum.conf file...

      Done.

      > A reboot is required to start using the new kernel. You have to also
      > run the flash_sync command or your change will not be saved.

      I assume the flash_sync can be skipped with the 2 GB flash drives?
      I just rebooted after doing the above.

      Thanks for the update!