Re: [irlp-embedded] time question

  • dcameron@irlp.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2010
      This is for an embedded machine, which only uses rdate periodically to update the time.

      I am pretty sure the ubc machine is still there, but you could just change the set-time script to use the ntp pools instead.

      Don't forget to flash_sync when you are done.

      From: James Nessen <nessenj@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:04:02 -0800
      To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] time question

      You can use the NTP pool servers instead.

      You can add them by modifying /etc/ntp.conf and looking for:

      server ntp.ubc.ca

      and replacing it with:

      (you don't have to use all 4 pools, but the option is there).

      The nice thing about the ntp pools is that they are made up of hundreds of machines, so you don't have to rely on a single time source.

      Hope that helps.

      Jim, K6JWN

      On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Donald Jacob <wb5eku@gmail. com> wrote:

      I have just noticed that on my node 3830 that the
      system time was off. I ran the command:
      /usr/sbin/set- time
      and get the error message:
      time out for ntp.ubc.ca

      Is there another time server to set the time?
      If so, how do I configure it?

      Thanks
      Don WB5EKU

      --
      Jim Nessen K6JWN
      Email: nessenj@jimsoffice. org | Ph: 530.564.0039

    • James Nessen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2010
        Ahh, I assumed that it used ntpd, thanks for the clarification :)

        Jim

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
          Unless the UBC machine has something to prevent outside IPs from obtaining the time data, it seems to be working fine for me here.

          There are literally hundreds of public NTP servers out there, and having super-accurate time is not a requirement of the IRLP.

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, dcameron@... wrote:

          > This is for an embedded machine, which only uses rdate periodically to update the time.
          >
          > I am pretty sure the ubc machine is still there, but you could just change the set-time script to use the ntp pools instead.
          >
          > Don't forget to flash_sync when you are done.

          > David Cameron - VE7LTD
          > IRLP System Designer - http://www.irlp.net

        • Donald Jacob
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
            Dave,
            Thanks for the reply, and Jim too.
            It seems that there is a larger problem.
            When I try to update the time manually, directly to
            any of the NTP servers, I get the same timeout error message.
            Also, I have looked and looked in my embedded system and for
            the life of me I cannot find the set-time script. I'm probably
            looking right at it. but...

            I can set the time manually but not have it update.
            I have run the troubleshooting script and all is well!

            Don  WB5EKU
            Node 3830