wireless usb adapter

  • jamisonrd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
      Is there a way to make wireless usb adapter work with embedded node?
      Dick, WA2QDP
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
        The software upgrade for the embedded node allows certain USB chipsets to be used. The process is not simple, as there is no fancy GUI for scanning for networks or for entering WEP or WPA codes.

        I have gotten it working though, mainly for static applications.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "jamisonrd" <jamisonrd@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to make wireless usb adapter work with embedded node?
        > Dick, WA2QDP

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9 6:46 AM
          Dave,
          I know the original message is a bit old therefore the reason for my question. Is the new CentOS 4.8 release you are going to have for the 2 gig drives on the embedded nodes going to have any new chipsets or updates to possibly make using a usb wireless adapter anymore user friendly? I know you said it was not a simple process. Just wondering if this has been researched further and any changes made to the release for the embedded nodes?
          Thanks

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

          > The software upgrade for the embedded node allows certain USB chipsets to be used. The process is not simple, as there is no fancy GUI for scanning for networks or for entering WEP or WPA codes.
          >
          > I have gotten it working though, mainly for static applications.

          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "jamisonrd" <jamisonrd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a way to make wireless usb adapter work with embedded node?
          > > Dick, WA2QDP

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 7:01 AM
            I should have added the chipset I was looking at using (Realtek RTL8187L) If this is not compatible could you share which chipset you tested it with?
            Thanks

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brdresser@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > I know the original message is a bit old therefore the reason for my question. Is the new CentOS 4.8 release you are going to have for the 2 gig drives on the embedded nodes going to have any new chipsets or updates to possibly make using a usb wireless adapter anymore user friendly? I know you said it was not a simple process. Just wondering if this has been researched further and any changes made to the release for the embedded nodes?
            > Thanks
            >
            > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The software upgrade for the embedded node allows certain USB chipsets to be used. The process is not simple, as there is no fancy GUI for scanning for networks or for entering WEP or WPA codes.
            > >
            > > I have gotten it working though, mainly for static applications.
            > >
            > > Dave Cameron
            > > VE7LTD
            > >
            > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "jamisonrd" <jamisonrd@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is there a way to make wireless usb adapter work with embedded node?
            > > > Dick, WA2QDP

          • David Cameron
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 7:08 AM
              I will have to look at the chipset I used. The new CentOS 4.9 based flash drive will work with most USB wireless chipsets. Just google it you will find the answer.

              There are a number of inexpensive bridge devices on the market that don't require any drivers that will go from ethernet to wireless.

              From: "Brian" <brdresser@...>
              Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:01:27 -0000
              To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [irlp-embedded] Re: wireless usb adapter

              I should have added the chipset I was looking at using (Realtek RTL8187L) If this is not compatible could you share which chipset you tested it with?
              Thanks

              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brdresser@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              > I know the original message is a bit old therefore the reason for my question. Is the new CentOS 4.8 release you are going to have for the 2 gig drives on the embedded nodes going to have any new chipsets or updates to possibly make using a usb wireless adapter anymore user friendly? I know you said it was not a simple process. Just wondering if this has been researched further and any changes made to the release for the embedded nodes?
              > Thanks
              >
              > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The software upgrade for the embedded node allows certain USB chipsets to be used. The process is not simple, as there is no fancy GUI for scanning for networks or for entering WEP or WPA codes.
              > >
              > > I have gotten it working though, mainly for static applications.
              > >
              > > Dave Cameron
              > > VE7LTD
              > >
              > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "jamisonrd" <jamisonrd@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is there a way to make wireless usb adapter work with embedded node?
              > > > Dick, WA2QDP

            • David Cameron
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10 12:57 AM
                The CentOS 4.9 does not have a driver for the RTL8187. That does not mean you can't make it work, but it will require that you compile a module for it to work under the kernel. These steps are pretty clearly explained in the google searches on the subject.

                The problem is the driver will be kernel specific, so you will have to block any updates of the kernel, or the module will fail on update.

                The CentOS 5.x version does support the RTL8187

                From: "Brian" <brdresser@...>
                Sender: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:01:27 -0000
                To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>