RE: [irlp-embedded] Re: New Flash

  • k7pfj@skybeam.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 28, 2009

      Tried to re boot but no luck so that is why I replaced the drive.

      Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

      6886 Sage Ave

      Firestone, Co 80504

      303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

      303-718-8052 Cellular

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 27, 2009
        Any other embeded node owners having problems with the new Flash and full version of CentOS 5.4 on their embedded nodes?

        I've got a 1 mo old embeded node with the 2GB FLASH configured as EchoIrlp, and it seems to crash or lock up every 2-7 days, when idle. When it happens, I cant access it locally on screen/keyboard (screen is black, keyboard acts like its not connected). It wont answer an incoming call & wont make outgoing calls, and doesnt appear on the connected list on my router anymore.

        Dave kindly said i could send it back to him, however I read on the other IRLP board tonight that other regular node user with CentOS5.4 have been having some unexplained lockups lately. So before i pay a courier to send it back to Dave, i wanted to find out what the Embedded users that had upgraded were experiencing? Trying to determine if its something wrong in my embeded node or something going on in "the system" - or with the OS itself?

        Thanks,

        Kevin VE7OVY
        IRLP node 1649

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

        > Mike K7PFJ wrote...
        >
        > > Nope, all I did is replace the flash and reset the audio levels...
        >
        > OK. Looking forward to hearing what you find and what Dave has
        > to say if it's the flash drive, but the problem could be elsewhere.
        >
        > Keith VE7GDH
        > Node 1148

      • David McAnally
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 27, 2009
          Can you or Dave disable EchoIRLP, including not running TBD, to determine if the symptom goes away?  I ask because I think the embedded nodes may run an old version of TBD.  There have been one or two memory leaks fixed in tbd in the past couple of years.  So it might be worth updating to the latest version of  TBD for EchoIRLP.  The EchoIRLP install currently uses TBD version 1.06.  Version 1.07 is also available, but not officially released yet.

          --
          Regards,
          David McAnally, WD5M

        • ve7ovy
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 28, 2009
            David, thanks for your reply. I believe Dave C remotely installed Ver 1.07, as he did a complete re-install of the EchoIRLP software after i reported other odd Echolink problems (Echolink sayings it was disconnected from a connection but actually staying connected and forwarding inbound connections to the previously connected conference node).

            Perhaps Dave C will read this and confirm what version he installed. I'm not a Linux savvy user, so my knowledge of how to turn things on & off is limited to typing or doing what I'm told to by others.

            73 Kevin Node 1849

          • k7pfj@skybeam.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 28, 2009

              Hi Kevin,

              My new flash lasted 2 weeks before it crashed. Emailed David and I sent it back to him and haven’t heard anything as of yet other than it has been running for several weeks with no errors.

              Mike

              Node 3003

              Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

              6886 Sage Ave

              Firestone, Co 80504

              303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

              303-718-8052 Cellular

              Any other embeded node owners having problems with the new Flash and full version of CentOS 5.4 on their embedded nodes?

              I've got a 1 mo old embeded node with the 2GB FLASH configured as EchoIrlp, and it seems to crash or lock up every 2-7 days, when idle. When it happens, I cant access it locally on screen/keyboard (screen is black, keyboard acts like its not connected). It wont answer an incoming call & wont make outgoing calls, and doesnt appear on the connected list on my router anymore.

              Dave kindly said i could send it back to him, however I read on the other IRLP board tonight that other regular node user with CentOS5.4 have been having some unexplained lockups lately. So before i pay a courier to send it back to Dave, i wanted to find out what the Embedded users that had upgraded were experiencing? Trying to determine if its something wrong in my embeded node or something going on in "the system" - or with the OS itself?

              Thanks,

              Kevin VE7OVY
              IRLP node 1649

              --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

              > Mike K7PFJ wrote...
              >
              > > Nope, all I did is replace the flash and reset the audio levels...
              >
              > OK. Looking forward to hearing what you find and what Dave has
              > to say if it's the flash drive, but the problem could be elsewhere.
              >
              > Keith VE7GDH
              > Node 1148

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 28, 2009
                Mike K7PFJ wrote...

                > My new flash lasted 2 weeks before it crashed. Emailed David and I
                > sent it back to him and haven't heard anything as of yet other than it
                > has been running for several weeks with no errors.

                I presume Dave already quizzed you, but what was powering the embedded
                node? Was it the standard AC adapter? Any chance there was a problem
                with the AC power being fed into it... spikes, surges, brownouts? If it
                was connected to a UPS, is it one that sounds an alarm or records in a
                log file on a PC when there is a power problem?

                Also, when you changed the flash drive, did it insert easily and all of
                the way into the socket?

              • k7pfj@skybeam.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 28, 2009

                  Hi Keith,

                  Yea, he asked all sorts of questions and since the system has battery backed up I highly dout there were any surges.

                  Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

                  6886 Sage Ave

                  Firestone, Co 80504

                  303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

                  303-718-8052 Cellular

                  > My new flash lasted 2 weeks before it crashed. Emailed David and I
                  > sent it back to him and haven't heard anything as of yet other than it
                  > has been running for several weeks with no errors.

                  I presume Dave already quizzed you, but what was powering the embedded
                  node? Was it the standard AC adapter? Any chance there was a problem
                  with the AC power being fed into it... spikes, surges, brownouts? If it
                  was connected to a UPS, is it one that sounds an alarm or records in a
                  log file on a PC when there is a power problem?

                  Also, when you changed the flash drive, did it insert easily and all of
                  the way into the socket?

                • va6xg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 28, 2009
                    I had my machine (embedded node #1870) with the new flash installed crash on me. It happened after a month or so and after a fair period of inactivity. Screen blank, keyboard non-functioning. I did not think much of it - just turned the power off, rebooted and everything back to normal. In view of the posts, I thought I would ention it.