Re: Using USB Stick Embedded node

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
      Sorry for the delay in getting to this.

      To install a USB stick, run the following commands:

      mkdir /flash-disk
      insmod scsi_mod
      insmod sd_mod
      insmod usb-storage
      mount /dev/sda1 /flash-disk

      Then you can get the files off the usb stick, and write to the USB
      stick. I have heard bad things about using usb sticks as the system
      sometimes unmounts the system automatically. I have just heard this
      but have not seen it in practice.

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <dennis_james@...>
      wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me the command to mount a USB stick Drive.
      >
      > i think Dave mentioned the drivers were installed for USB.
      >
      > Regards
      > Dennis
      > VK2DWJ

    • drgeorge_78514
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
        Is this something that must be run anytime the system is rebooted or
        is this just a one time deal. If it is run everytime the system
        boots, could this be included in the bootup script?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
          The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.

          I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
          Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

          # Loads the CF card drivers
          insmod scsi_mod
          insmod sd_mod

          /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp

          insmod usb-storage
          mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card

          I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with

          mkdir /mnt/cf-card

          On
          Sun, 12 Nov 2006, drgeorge_78514 wrote:

          > Is this something that must be run anytime the system is rebooted or
          > is this just a one time deal. If it is run everytime the system
          > boots, could this be included in the bootup script?
          >
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Sorry for the delay in getting to this.
          >>
          >> To install a USB stick, run the following commands:
          >>
          >> mkdir /flash-disk
          >> insmod scsi_mod
          >> insmod sd_mod
          >> insmod usb-storage
          >> mount /dev/sda1 /flash-disk
          >>
          >> Then you can get the files off the usb stick, and write to the USB
          >> stick. I have heard bad things about using usb sticks as the system
          >> sometimes unmounts the system automatically. I have just heard this
          >> but have not seen it in practice.
          >>
          >> Dave Cameron
          >> VE7LTD
          >>

          >> --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <dennis_james@>
          >> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Can anyone tell me the command to mount a USB stick Drive.
          >>>
          >>> i think Dave mentioned the drivers were installed for USB.
          >>>
          >>> Regards
          >>> Dennis
          >>> VK2DWJ

        • Nate Duehr
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
            David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
            > The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.
            >
            > I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
            > Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
            >

            > # Loads the CF card drivers
            > insmod scsi_mod
            > insmod sd_mod
            >
            > /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp
            >
            > insmod usb-storage
            > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
            >
            > I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with
            >
            > mkdir /mnt/cf-card

            Minor nitpick, probably doesn't matter, but...

            You should use modprobe (if it works) to load the modules.

            insmod is lower-level, and modprobe usb-storage would probably autoload
            the others it needs... not sure on USB stuff, but modprobe is designed
            to handle loading up a module and all the other modules that one needs
            to operate.

            I just tried it and it loaded scsi_mod for me when I loaded usb-storage.
            So you might have to do a modprobe sd_mod.

            Only saves you one command in this case, but modprobe is a better
            "habit" to use than insmod.

            No big deal,

            Nate WY0X
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
              That feature is not enabled in this kernel for some reason. On the
              embedded nodes we have to specify each of the modules.

              On a normal system, yes modprobe usb-storage would work. This is a forum
              for the embedded nodes.

              Dave

              On Sat, 11 Nov 2006,
              Nate Duehr wrote:

              > David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
              >> The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.
              >>
              >> I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
              >> Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
              >>

              >> # Loads the CF card drivers
              >> insmod scsi_mod
              >> insmod sd_mod
              >>
              >> /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp
              >>
              >> insmod usb-storage
              >> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
              >>
              >> I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with
              >>
              >> mkdir /mnt/cf-card
              >>
              >> Dave Cameron
              >> VE7LTD
              >
              > Minor nitpick, probably doesn't matter, but...
              >
              > You should use modprobe (if it works) to load the modules.
              >
              > insmod is lower-level, and modprobe usb-storage would probably autoload
              > the others it needs... not sure on USB stuff, but modprobe is designed
              > to handle loading up a module and all the other modules that one needs
              > to operate.
              >
              > I just tried it and it loaded scsi_mod for me when I loaded usb-storage.
              > So you might have to do a modprobe sd_mod.
              >
              > Only saves you one command in this case, but modprobe is a better
              > "habit" to use than insmod.
              >
              > No big deal,
              >
              > Nate WY0X

            • Nate Duehr
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
                David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
                > That feature is not enabled in this kernel for some reason. On the
                > embedded nodes we have to specify each of the modules.
                >
                > On a normal system, yes modprobe usb-storage would work. This is a forum
                > for the embedded nodes.

                Heh... stripped the Linux right out of Linux to make it fit in that CF
                card, eh Dave? :-)

                Nate WY0X