Flash Upgrade - Accepting Orders

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14 10:41 AM
      So here is the current situation:

      I will have 20 flash drives delivered sometime early next week. Each one will take me a day or two to build up, configure, test, and verify. So I will be limiting this current offer to the first 20 orders. If the orders exceed 20, there will be maybe a week more delay, but I will be able to get more flash drives. There is just a slight delay in shipping them from my supplier.

      I have had to add $5 to the US/Canadian and $10 to international, raising the cost to $90 and $95 respectively. The future price of this upgrade after the first month or so will be $10 more. The cost of the drive has gone up 25% since my last order due to the declining US dollar.

      Please post your order through PayPal here:

      http://www.irlp.net/embedded/upgrade.html

      Please include your node number and postal shipping address in the comments. A phone number may be a good idea as well in case I run into any questions when I have your node on the bench. I will also need your root password (see below).

      In order to gather the required configurations for your node, I need to have you run a script on your node to send the configuration files to the IRLP server. I will then be able to take this backup, and use it to configure your nodes to be the same when you plug in the new flash.

      The script is run as follows:

      Log in as root and type:

      flash_upgrade

      If it returns an error that the file or program does not exist, you have to run an "update files".

      su - repeater
      ./scripts/update files
      exit
      flash_upgrade

      There are a few catches here:

      1) I will need to have your root password sent to me so that I can test the configuration once I have set it up. The script only sends me an "encrypted" password. So please email me your NODE NUMBER and root password once you make the order

      2) I have no way to fully test the internet connectivity from my work bench. I will make the configuration the same (IP, netmask, nameservers, etc) as you currently have, but I will not be able to fully test it. There should be no issues though.

      3) I can not backup any programs or outside scripts you may have added that are custom to your node. This script just copies your IRLP, controller, EchoIRLP, IP, timezone, and password settings. Of course once the update is done, you will be able to add any custom scripts you want!

      Thanks everyone! I look forward to being able to offer a lot more add-ons to the embedded node very soon!

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14 11:09 AM
        For some reason, the flash_upgrade file was corrupted in mirroring last night. I have fixed it up, and now you will have to run an "update files" to get the new version.

        If you run the flash_upgrade script as root and get
        : bad interpreter: No such file or directoryn/bash

        su - repeater
        ./scripts/update files
        exit
        flash_upgrade

        Dave Cameron

      • ak5z@arrl.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 14 11:42 AM
          Dave:
          Is the flash drive just used to update the irlp-embedded box or does it need to be in place at all times?
          John, AK5Z

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14 11:44 AM
            It is a swap out for the older drive. You put it in place of the
            existing drive.

            Dave

            ak5z@... wrote:

            > Dave:
            > Is the flash drive just used to update the irlp-embedded box or does it
            > need to be in place at all times?
            > John, AK5Z

          • kb0jwr
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14 4:49 PM
              What if I fort my root password ?

              sry
              kb0jwr
              node 3833

              mjs
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 14 4:55 PM
                If the node is setup with port 15426 forwarded, I can get into the node
                and reset your root password for you.

                I have just confirmed that I can do this, so all I need you to do is
                send me a password you would like set into the node, and I can set it
                for you.

                This is true of all embedded nodes, as long as the SSH key I installed
                was not removed (suggested in the Embedded Info Document).

                kb0jwr wrote:

                > What if I fort my root password ?
                >
                > sry
                > kb0jwr