New filesystem for Embedded Nodes

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
      I have designed a new file system for the embedded nodes that changes the way the nodes are built and are configured.

      Instead of creating a stripped down version, I have decided to start offering a "full" CentOS 5 based version for the nodes. This version operates the same as any other IRLP node installed from CD.

      Instead of loading the filesystem into RAM, it runs actively from the flash device. This makes the filesystem a bit more "volatile", but with the reliability of the hardware, this is not a major issue.

      The filesystem is 2 gigabytes, and has about 1.2 gigs free, which is plenty of space for addons like perl, and any script that is currently made for IRLP nodes, including vCon, arrl newsline, weather scripts, etc. I have also mirrored the current script/controller functionality of the existing embedded nodes.

      The best part of this is that it is available to the existing embedded node users as an upgrade. All I need you to do is send me a few files from your node (I will likely make a script to perform this), and I can ship you just the updated flash device. You plug that in and away you go. No need to change anything else, as even the audio levels will be saved. I can not promise that any customizations will be saved though.

      The cost of the update is $85, which includes shipping to anywhere in the world.

      I only have a limited number of flash devices available, so I am trying to gauge the interest in this upgrade. Please send me an email if you are interested in this update.

    • Jeff Davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
        I might be interested Dave ~ but besides it being something "new" is
        there a benefit?

        73 de Jeff KE9V
        IRLP 4212

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
          Well, many people have asked "can I add this script" or "can it do
          that", and 9 times out of 10, the answer was no.

          So the main advantages I see are:
          - Direct Wifi and Cellular Modem support (still needs to be configured
          locally)
          - Ability to add any custom IRLP scripts
          - Automated Security Updates direct from CentOS
          - No need to remember to sync the flash card

          Disadvantages
          - Slightly higher load time (about 20%)
          - Flash drive is mounted and read/written to directly - Could become
          corrupted easier
          - Must take your node apart to install it

          The response so far has been suprising with about 15 people already
          wanting the update :)

          I will be ordering some flash drives next week, and will write the
          script you can run to send me the configuration files from your node to
          install on the new one.

          Dave Cameron

        • k7pfj@skybeam.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009

            Hi Dave,

            I am game and would be interested. If you say it is plug and play that sounds easy enough for a non IT tech to do.

            Mike

            Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

            6886 Sage Ave

            Firestone, Co 80504

            303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

            303-718-8052 Cellular

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2009

              Dave,

              How do I order it and how quick can I get it.

              Mike Mullarkey K7PFJ

              IRLP NODE 3003

              6886 Sage Ave

              Firestone, Co 80504

              303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

              303-718-8052 Cellular

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 10, 2009
                Dave I would be interested, can you advise when you need the details.
                I presume payment is through paypal.

                Regards
                Dennis
                VK2DWJ
                Node 6233 Echolink 2056

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                > I have designed a new file system for the embedded nodes that changes the way the nodes are built and are configured.
                >
                > Instead of creating a stripped down version, I have decided to start offering a "full" CentOS 5 based version for the nodes. This version operates the same as any other IRLP node installed from CD.
                >
                > Instead of loading the filesystem into RAM, it runs actively from the flash device. This makes the filesystem a bit more "volatile", but with the reliability of the hardware, this is not a major issue.
                >
                > The filesystem is 2 gigabytes, and has about 1.2 gigs free, which is plenty of space for addons like perl, and any script that is currently made for IRLP nodes, including vCon, arrl newsline, weather scripts, etc. I have also mirrored the current script/controller functionality of the existing embedded nodes.
                >
                > The best part of this is that it is available to the existing embedded node users as an upgrade. All I need you to do is send me a few files from your node (I will likely make a script to perform this), and I can ship you just the updated flash device. You plug that in and away you go. No need to change anything else, as even the audio levels will be saved. I can not promise that any customizations will be saved though.
                >
                > The cost of the update is $85, which includes shipping to anywhere in the world.
                >
                > I only have a limited number of flash devices available, so I am trying to gauge the interest in this upgrade. Please send me an email if you are interested in this update.

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2009
                  Dave VE7LTD wrote...

                  > I have designed a new file system for the embedded nodes that
                  > changes the way the nodes are built and are configured. Instead
                  > of creating a stripped down version, I have decided to start offering
                  > a "full" CentOS 5 based version for the nodes. This version operates
                  > the same as any other IRLP node installed from CD.

                  Will all new orders for embedded nodes include the 2 GB flash drive
                  with CentOS 5.4?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2009
                    The plan will be to determine the amount of cost differential, and add
                    it as an option. The difference will be small, likely around $50 or so.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 16, 2009
                      Any feedback? I have heard some "this was a great plug and play exercise", but little more.

                      I hope the upgrade was worthwhile for the 22 nodes that took it on!

                      > The plan will be to determine the amount of cost differential, and add
                      > it as an option. The difference will be small, likely around $50 or so.

                      > Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Dave VE7LTD wrote...
                      > >
                      > > > I have designed a new file system for the embedded nodes that
                      > > > changes the way the nodes are built and are configured. Instead
                      > > > of creating a stripped down version, I have decided to start offering
                      > > > a "full" CentOS 5 based version for the nodes. This version operates
                      > > > the same as any other IRLP node installed from CD.
                      > >
                      > > Will all new orders for embedded nodes include the 2 GB flash drive
                      > > with CentOS 5.4?
                      > >
                      > > Keith VE7GDH
                      > > Node 1148

                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 16, 2009
                        Dave VE7LTD wrote...

                        > Any feedback? I have heard some "this was a great plug and play
                        > exercise", but little more. I hope the upgrade was worthwhile for the
                        > 22 nodes that took it on!

                        It went smoothly for me. I used WinSCP to copy a few files before
                        installing the 2 GB drive, including the file for the audio settings.
                        The aprspass program for showing APRS validation numbers for a given
                        callsign that comes with the IRLP APRS status script add-on now works. I
                        also installed Festival for text to speech synthesis and played around
                        with it. I considered it a worthwhile upgrade. I'm looking forward to
                        any other enhancements or scripts that you or others may offer in the
                        future now that limited storage isn't so much of an issue. Nice upgrade!

                        I know you said that the 2 GB drive would likely be an option for future
                        embedded node orders, perhaps you could just make it standard in new
                        ones even if it did slide the price up a bit. Flash drives are pretty
                        cheap compared to a couple or three years ago.

                      • kb0jwr
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 19, 2009
                          Have mine up for a couple days after swapping out the flash..
                          Working WONDERFULLY :)
                          Enjoying it. Don't even need a keyboard anymore...mine node a pesky little problem before, If I didn't have a keyboard plugged in to "press enter" it wouldn't boot up...
                          All I had to do was swap out flash cards then put my aumix settings back in and turn on....about as close to plug-n-play as you can get...

                          thanks much
                          kb0jwr
                          portable - Carson, CA.....at least today :)

                          mjs

                          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                          > Any feedback? I have heard some "this was a great plug and play exercise", but little more.
                          >
                          > I hope the upgrade was worthwhile for the 22 nodes that took it on!

                        • donmor46
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 19, 2009
                            My install went smooth.
                            Copied some scripts that I used back into the node along with the aumix settings and everything went smooth. Some minor adjustments but nothing too difficult. Nice to have the extra space for added add-ons.
                            Thanks Dave.

                            Don
                            VE7EDA