TIME ON EMBEDDED NODE

  • kokohead2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 9:24 AM
      I was under the impression that there was a script that ran
      automatic that did a time setting through some time server
      so that the node time was always correct. Ive just noticed
      yesterday that our nodes time is off by six minutes.

      Is there any setting that will enable some type of time
      correction at some interval or manually?

      Thanks de KH6GMP for node 3212
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7 9:42 AM
        Hmmm, there is a script called set-time that needs to be run as root,
        and should be part of the "daily" crontab (scheduler) sequence.

        It contacts a time server at the University of British Columbia, so
        there may be a possibility that the traffic is blocked.

        try this command on your embedded computer

        rdate ntp.ubc.ca

        and tell me what the response is.

        Mine does this:
        root@IRLP:/etc/cron.daily# rdate ntp.ubc.ca
        rdate: [ntp.ubc.ca] Tue Jul 7 09:42:16 2009

        Thanks

        Dave Cameron

        kokohead2001 wrote:

        > I was under the impression that there was a script that ran
        > automatic that did a time setting through some time server
        > so that the node time was always correct. Ive just noticed
        > yesterday that our nodes time is off by six minutes.
        >
        > Is there any setting that will enable some type of time
        > correction at some interval or manually?
        >
        > Thanks de KH6GMP for node 3212

      • Mike Morris WA6ILQ
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7 1:32 PM
          us.pool.ntp.org is a free public time server service for
          the USA, and ca.pool.ntp.org is the same for Canada.

          Might want to look at < http://www.pool.ntp.org/> and then click
          on "How do I use pool.ntp.org?"

          Mike WA6ILQ