Using USB Stick Embedded node

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
      Can anyone tell me the command to mount a USB stick Drive.

      i think Dave mentioned the drivers were installed for USB.

      Regards
      Dennis
      VK2DWJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2006
        Sorry for the delay in getting to this.

        To install a USB stick, run the following commands:

        mkdir /flash-disk
        insmod scsi_mod
        insmod sd_mod
        insmod usb-storage
        mount /dev/sda1 /flash-disk

        Then you can get the files off the usb stick, and write to the USB
        stick. I have heard bad things about using usb sticks as the system
        sometimes unmounts the system automatically. I have just heard this
        but have not seen it in practice.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <dennis_james@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me the command to mount a USB stick Drive.
        >
        > i think Dave mentioned the drivers were installed for USB.
        >
        > Regards
        > Dennis
        > VK2DWJ

      • drgeorge_78514
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
          Is this something that must be run anytime the system is rebooted or
          is this just a one time deal. If it is run everytime the system
          boots, could this be included in the bootup script?

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
            The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.

            I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
            Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

            # Loads the CF card drivers
            insmod scsi_mod
            insmod sd_mod

            /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp

            insmod usb-storage
            mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card

            I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with

            mkdir /mnt/cf-card

            On
            Sun, 12 Nov 2006, drgeorge_78514 wrote:

            > Is this something that must be run anytime the system is rebooted or
            > is this just a one time deal. If it is run everytime the system
            > boots, could this be included in the bootup script?
            >
            > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Sorry for the delay in getting to this.
            >>
            >> To install a USB stick, run the following commands:
            >>
            >> mkdir /flash-disk
            >> insmod scsi_mod
            >> insmod sd_mod
            >> insmod usb-storage
            >> mount /dev/sda1 /flash-disk
            >>
            >> Then you can get the files off the usb stick, and write to the USB
            >> stick. I have heard bad things about using usb sticks as the system
            >> sometimes unmounts the system automatically. I have just heard this
            >> but have not seen it in practice.
            >>
            >> Dave Cameron
            >> VE7LTD
            >>

            >> --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <dennis_james@>
            >> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Can anyone tell me the command to mount a USB stick Drive.
            >>>
            >>> i think Dave mentioned the drivers were installed for USB.
            >>>
            >>> Regards
            >>> Dennis
            >>> VK2DWJ

          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
              David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
              > The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.
              >
              > I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
              > Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
              >

              > # Loads the CF card drivers
              > insmod scsi_mod
              > insmod sd_mod
              >
              > /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp
              >
              > insmod usb-storage
              > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
              >
              > I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with
              >
              > mkdir /mnt/cf-card

              Minor nitpick, probably doesn't matter, but...

              You should use modprobe (if it works) to load the modules.

              insmod is lower-level, and modprobe usb-storage would probably autoload
              the others it needs... not sure on USB stuff, but modprobe is designed
              to handle loading up a module and all the other modules that one needs
              to operate.

              I just tried it and it loaded scsi_mod for me when I loaded usb-storage.
              So you might have to do a modprobe sd_mod.

              Only saves you one command in this case, but modprobe is a better
              "habit" to use than insmod.

              No big deal,

              Nate WY0X
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
                That feature is not enabled in this kernel for some reason. On the
                embedded nodes we have to specify each of the modules.

                On a normal system, yes modprobe usb-storage would work. This is a forum
                for the embedded nodes.

                Dave

                On Sat, 11 Nov 2006,
                Nate Duehr wrote:

                > David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
                >> The embedded nodes would need to have the USB drivers loaded wach time.
                >>
                >> I have setup a USb comapct flash drive on my node.
                >> Here is the code I use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
                >>

                >> # Loads the CF card drivers
                >> insmod scsi_mod
                >> insmod sd_mod
                >>
                >> /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp
                >>
                >> insmod usb-storage
                >> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf-card
                >>
                >> I created the /mtn/cf-card directory beforehand with
                >>
                >> mkdir /mnt/cf-card
                >>
                >> Dave Cameron
                >> VE7LTD
                >
                > Minor nitpick, probably doesn't matter, but...
                >
                > You should use modprobe (if it works) to load the modules.
                >
                > insmod is lower-level, and modprobe usb-storage would probably autoload
                > the others it needs... not sure on USB stuff, but modprobe is designed
                > to handle loading up a module and all the other modules that one needs
                > to operate.
                >
                > I just tried it and it loaded scsi_mod for me when I loaded usb-storage.
                > So you might have to do a modprobe sd_mod.
                >
                > Only saves you one command in this case, but modprobe is a better
                > "habit" to use than insmod.
                >
                > No big deal,
                >
                > Nate WY0X

              • Nate Duehr
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 12, 2006
                  David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
                  > That feature is not enabled in this kernel for some reason. On the
                  > embedded nodes we have to specify each of the modules.
                  >
                  > On a normal system, yes modprobe usb-storage would work. This is a forum
                  > for the embedded nodes.

                  Heh... stripped the Linux right out of Linux to make it fit in that CF
                  card, eh Dave? :-)

                  Nate WY0X