Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: embedded node and custom ID's

  • dcameron@irlp.net
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2009
      No,

      Please look at your /home/irlp/log/messages file. It will say if the download of the file from the server is slow, it will only wait a few seconds before playing the default. Download failures are logged.

      They are downloaded, played, and deleted.

      From: "Nate Duehr"
      Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:36:55 -0600
      To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: embedded node and custom ID's

      On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:13:24 -0000, "kk7u_seattle" <kk7u@...> said:

      > --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, Nate Duehr <nate@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > There's isn't enough hard disk space on the embedded nodes to support
      > > storing all of the custom audio files. Dave was experimenting with a
      > > streaming audio way to play them, but I don't think that worked out.
      > >
      > > Nate WY0X
      > >

      > Thank you Nate for the reply.
      >
      > Well I've been poking around at the scripts and I can't find anywhere
      > that custom ID's has been specifically neutered out of the embedded node,
      > but it doesn't seem to do it. It sure looks like the 'call' script has
      > some logic in there to fetch the ID files but it doesn't seem to happen.
      > Maybe it's not fetching the files fast enough, I haven't gone to any
      > lengthy effort yet to debug the script to see if it's trying to fetch the
      > files at all.
      >
      > I know there's a risk of filling up the disk but I am pretty certain it's
      > one that's easily managed. My other non-embedded nodes have come nowhere
      > close to collecting enough custom ID files to fill up the available disk
      > space on the embedded node.
      >
      > I was mainly curious if there's some specific code on the embedded node
      > that prevents this from working. I've observed that once in a blue moon
      > or so the embedded node seems to manage to play one.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Mark Hagler

      I think Dave C had an option where you could add a USB stick of (large)
      appropriate size and mount it as additional drive space, so I doubt that
      the thing is COMPLETELY neutered, but he'll have to answer as to why it
      doesn't work on the internal disk. You're probably running into
      problems with the fact that Dave's embedded systems are running from RAM
      drives after booting, and the "disk" is only used to boot/start the
      system and "seed" the RAM drive.

      Nate WY0X
      --
      Nate Duehr
      nate@natetech. com

    • kk7u_seattle
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2009
        Thanks Dave.. I connected to 1010 and it played the ID fine and I see the entry in the log file.

        Reflectors are another story, and that's what I am mainly noticing. Apparently almost all of my IRLP calls are to reflectors and it does not seem to ever fetch the wav file for a reflector. This is probably due to the fact that ref*.wav is in the rsync exclude string..

        I think I can figure it out at this point.

        Thanks

        Mark Hagler
        KK7U

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, dcameron@... wrote:

        > No,
        >
        > Please look at your /home/irlp/log/messages file. It will say if the download of the file from the server is slow, it will only wait a few seconds before playing the default. Download failures are logged.
        >
        > They are downloaded, played, and deleted.
        >
        > Dave
        > David Cameron - VE7LTD
      • AG0N-3055
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2009
          On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:08:40 -0000, kk7u_seattle wrote:

          > Apparently almost all of my IRLP calls are to reflectors and it does not seem to ever fetch the wav file for a reflector. This is probably due to the fact that ref*.wav is in the rsync exclude string..

          Many reflectors don't have custom audio either. They will play generic
          announcements.

          Gary
          --
          http: //garymcduffie .com
          3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2009
            Well it is true that there are far fewer reflector audio files.. 35 of out 280 reflector channels have on.wav files, 12.5% of them.

            Right now there are exactly 2400 stn lines in the host file, and 1410 stn*on.wav files so a much larger 58% of nodes have custom ID files.

            We connect often to ref9250 which has a ref9250on.wav file so I'll figure out how to make it play on a embedded node.

            Thanks