embedded node and custom ID's

  • kk7u_seattle
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11 10:48 PM
      Hello

      I have an embedded node and despite having the setting in my environment file

      export PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS=YES

      It doesn't do it. It seems like once in a while one will sneak through but for the most part they don't. Is there something I can modify to get custom ID's to work on the embedded node?

      Thanks

      Mark Hagler
      KK7U Seattle
    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11 11:01 PM
        kk7u_seattle wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I have an embedded node and despite having the setting in my environment file
        >
        > export PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS=YES
        >
        > It doesn't do it. It seems like once in a while one will sneak through but for the most part they don't. Is there something I can modify to get custom ID's to work on the embedded node?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mark Hagler
        > KK7U Seattle

        There's isn't enough hard disk space on the embedded nodes to support
        storing all of the custom audio files. Dave was experimenting with a
        streaming audio way to play them, but I don't think that worked out.

        Nate WY0X
      • kk7u_seattle
        Message 3 of 11 , May 11 11:13 PM
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <nate@...> wrote:

          > There's isn't enough hard disk space on the embedded nodes to support
          > storing all of the custom audio files. Dave was experimenting with a
          > streaming audio way to play them, but I don't think that worked out.
          >
          > Nate WY0X

          Thank you Nate for the reply.

          Well I've been poking around at the scripts and I can't find anywhere that custom ID's has been specifically neutered out of the embedded node, but it doesn't seem to do it. It sure looks like the 'call' script has some logic in there to fetch the ID files but it doesn't seem to happen. Maybe it's not fetching the files fast enough, I haven't gone to any lengthy effort yet to debug the script to see if it's trying to fetch the files at all.

          I know there's a risk of filling up the disk but I am pretty certain it's one that's easily managed. My other non-embedded nodes have come nowhere close to collecting enough custom ID files to fill up the available disk space on the embedded node.

          I was mainly curious if there's some specific code on the embedded node that prevents this from working. I've observed that once in a blue moon or so the embedded node seems to manage to play one.

          Thanks

          Mark Hagler
        • AG0N-3055
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12 5:24 AM
            On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:13:24 -0000, kk7u_seattle wrote:

            > I was mainly curious if there's some specific code on the embedded node that prevents this from working. I've observed that once in a blue moon or so the embedded node seems to manage to play one.

            I hesitate to post over in this group, because I don't have an embedded
            node, but is this happening more than once for a single node? In other
            words, sometimes, there isn't time for it to download upon first connect
            to a node, but it will be there on subsequent connects. Have you been
            back to the same node a little later and still no customs? My regular
            node misses first connect messages most of the time.

            Gary
            --
            http: //garymcduffie .com
            3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12 11:28 AM
              Dave came up with a way for the embedded node to receive the audio files from individual nodes via the server upon connecting. It does not download them into the embedded node. Could not find the email from this group but it is here somewhere.
              My 2 embedded nodes play the audio from stations that have audio files. (connect and disconnect) If I find the email, I will post it again here.

              Don VE7EDA
              Node 1811

              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "kk7u_seattle" <kk7u@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > I have an embedded node and despite having the setting in my environment file
              >
              > export PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS=YES
              >
              > It doesn't do it. It seems like once in a while one will sneak through but for the most part they don't. Is there something I can modify to get custom ID's to work on the embedded node?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Mark Hagler
              > KK7U Seattle

            • Nate Duehr
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12 11:36 AM
                On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:13:24 -0000, "kk7u_seattle" <kk7u@...> said:
                > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <nate@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > There's isn't enough hard disk space on the embedded nodes to support
                > > storing all of the custom audio files. Dave was experimenting with a
                > > streaming audio way to play them, but I don't think that worked out.
                > >
                > > Nate WY0X
                > >

                > Thank you Nate for the reply.
                >
                > Well I've been poking around at the scripts and I can't find anywhere
                > that custom ID's has been specifically neutered out of the embedded node,
                > but it doesn't seem to do it. It sure looks like the 'call' script has
                > some logic in there to fetch the ID files but it doesn't seem to happen.
                > Maybe it's not fetching the files fast enough, I haven't gone to any
                > lengthy effort yet to debug the script to see if it's trying to fetch the
                > files at all.
                >
                > I know there's a risk of filling up the disk but I am pretty certain it's
                > one that's easily managed. My other non-embedded nodes have come nowhere
                > close to collecting enough custom ID files to fill up the available disk
                > space on the embedded node.
                >
                > I was mainly curious if there's some specific code on the embedded node
                > that prevents this from working. I've observed that once in a blue moon
                > or so the embedded node seems to manage to play one.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Mark Hagler

                I think Dave C had an option where you could add a USB stick of (large)
                appropriate size and mount it as additional drive space, so I doubt that
                the thing is COMPLETELY neutered, but he'll have to answer as to why it
                doesn't work on the internal disk. You're probably running into
                problems with the fact that Dave's embedded systems are running from RAM
                drives after booting, and the "disk" is only used to boot/start the
                system and "seed" the RAM drive.

                Nate WY0X
                --
                Nate Duehr
                nate@...
                Message 7 of 11 , May 12 11:42 AM
                  Perhaps it was this one, or one similar?
                  --
                  Regards,
                  David McAnally, WD5M

                  To: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                  From: "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...>
                  Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:03:06 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] LOSS OF CUSTOM ON ID

                  The new system I built about 4 months ago allows embedded nodes to play
                  custom id files, but it downloads them fresh every connection.

                  If the connection is slow, or the server is not available, it will not
                  be able to download it in time to play it, and it reverts back to the
                  generic on/off files.

                  You should see the following in the /home/irlp/log/messages file:

                  DEBUG - Waited 1 x 0.5 second intervals for stn3212on.wav to finish
                  downloading

                  It will loop 4 times before failing. If it does not download in time, it
                  will play the default files.

                • dcameron@irlp.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12 11:43 AM
                    No,

                    Please look at your /home/irlp/log/messages file. It will say if the download of the file from the server is slow, it will only wait a few seconds before playing the default. Download failures are logged.

                    They are downloaded, played, and deleted.

                    From: "Nate Duehr"
                    Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:36:55 -0600
                    To: <irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: embedded node and custom ID's

                    On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:13:24 -0000, "kk7u_seattle" <kk7u@...> said:

                    > --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, Nate Duehr <nate@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > There's isn't enough hard disk space on the embedded nodes to support
                    > > storing all of the custom audio files. Dave was experimenting with a
                    > > streaming audio way to play them, but I don't think that worked out.
                    > >
                    > > Nate WY0X
                    > >

                    > Thank you Nate for the reply.
                    >
                    > Well I've been poking around at the scripts and I can't find anywhere
                    > that custom ID's has been specifically neutered out of the embedded node,
                    > but it doesn't seem to do it. It sure looks like the 'call' script has
                    > some logic in there to fetch the ID files but it doesn't seem to happen.
                    > Maybe it's not fetching the files fast enough, I haven't gone to any
                    > lengthy effort yet to debug the script to see if it's trying to fetch the
                    > files at all.
                    >
                    > I know there's a risk of filling up the disk but I am pretty certain it's
                    > one that's easily managed. My other non-embedded nodes have come nowhere
                    > close to collecting enough custom ID files to fill up the available disk
                    > space on the embedded node.
                    >
                    > I was mainly curious if there's some specific code on the embedded node
                    > that prevents this from working. I've observed that once in a blue moon
                    > or so the embedded node seems to manage to play one.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Mark Hagler

                    I think Dave C had an option where you could add a USB stick of (large)
                    appropriate size and mount it as additional drive space, so I doubt that
                    the thing is COMPLETELY neutered, but he'll have to answer as to why it
                    doesn't work on the internal disk. You're probably running into
                    problems with the fact that Dave's embedded systems are running from RAM
                    drives after booting, and the "disk" is only used to boot/start the
                    system and "seed" the RAM drive.

                    Nate WY0X
                    --
                    Nate Duehr
                    nate@natetech. com

                  • kk7u_seattle
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12 1:08 PM
                      Thanks Dave.. I connected to 1010 and it played the ID fine and I see the entry in the log file.

                      Reflectors are another story, and that's what I am mainly noticing. Apparently almost all of my IRLP calls are to reflectors and it does not seem to ever fetch the wav file for a reflector. This is probably due to the fact that ref*.wav is in the rsync exclude string..

                      I think I can figure it out at this point.

                      Thanks

                      Mark Hagler
                      KK7U

                      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, dcameron@... wrote:

                      > No,
                      >
                      > Please look at your /home/irlp/log/messages file. It will say if the download of the file from the server is slow, it will only wait a few seconds before playing the default. Download failures are logged.
                      >
                      > They are downloaded, played, and deleted.
                      >
                      > Dave
                      > David Cameron - VE7LTD
                    • AG0N-3055
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 12 1:37 PM
                        On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:08:40 -0000, kk7u_seattle wrote:

                        > Apparently almost all of my IRLP calls are to reflectors and it does not seem to ever fetch the wav file for a reflector. This is probably due to the fact that ref*.wav is in the rsync exclude string..

                        Many reflectors don't have custom audio either. They will play generic
                        announcements.

                        Gary
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 12 1:44 PM
                          Well it is true that there are far fewer reflector audio files.. 35 of out 280 reflector channels have on.wav files, 12.5% of them.

                          Right now there are exactly 2400 stn lines in the host file, and 1410 stn*on.wav files so a much larger 58% of nodes have custom ID files.

                          We connect often to ref9250 which has a ref9250on.wav file so I'll figure out how to make it play on a embedded node.

                          Thanks