Re: Jeeze Louise, It's practically impossible to buy IRLP

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2009
      Tada! Bought one. :-)

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

      > :-) <-- Requisite smilie
      >
      > I've been trying for over a week to purchase an embedded node computer from the IRLP site. I have filled out the form, received a quote but no payment instructions. I have sent at least 3 emails and only one has been answered.
      >
      > I guess I'll ask some questions here, since I can't get much help from sales.
      >
      > Questions:
      >
      > 1) Is the 19" rack version the same hardware (computer, etc) as in the standard case? If it is, I assume it has the same power consumption? I'm planning to mount it in a Jeep and need the lowest power consumption possible, just to be able to power it on battery alone for short periods of time. I'd be getting the 13V DC option.
      >
      > 2) Is there a fan in the 19" rack mount version?
      >
      > 3) Dave did tell me that communication via Com port and terminal isn't working right and that most people use SSH. Exactly what is required in establishing that connection?
      >
      > As far as I know, my configuration will be
      > TheRadio --> EmbeddedNode --> InternetRouter --> USB_Broadband
      >
      > So my question with regards to 3, is how are file transfers made. Nothing in this allows such a transfer. Would I make the connection via another computer connected by Wi-Fi (from the router), or would I be disconnecting the router and connecting a computer to the EmbeddedNode, or would I be using the Com ports? It's not clear how files are transferred to the embedded node. Can someone walk me through this?
      >
      > 4) Dave also said I would have to configure the node by, "You will have to set up the proper networking in the IRLP node to talk
      > to your router. This will include providing an IP address to the node, either entered statically or via DHCP, and forwarding ports through your router."
      >
      > Again, how would I configure the node? What is the connection method? Would it be by modifying a script file and then transferring it to the embedded node via SSH? Can someone walk me through how I'd be configuring the IRLP node with the IP info?
      >
      > 5) The embedded node information page talks about various scripts that can be run for admin control. I can't imagine being able to do that, unless there is a monitor and/or keyboard attached. Where would that fit into my configuration. Even the block diagrams don't show monitor (display) or keyboard, so it's not obvious what the mechanism is for controlling the node via admin input. Can someone explain this in a bit of detail.
      >
      > 6) When the embedded node arrives, assuming I can every purchase one :-), how much additional setup and configuration can be expected on my end, using it in simplex mode. I will be using a GM300 on one end and a CradlePoint router (CTR500), with USB Broadband card on the other end, for the internet connection.
      >
      > 7) Is there a document somewhere that discusses using the EmbeddedNode? How to use it, how to connect to it, how to load files, etc?

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2009
        Mike (KC7VE?) wrote...

        > :-) <-- Requisite smilie

        I see in a later post you indicated that you ordered one. I'm sure you
        will be happy with it.

        > 3) Dave did tell me that... most people use SSH. Exactly what is
        > required in establishing that connection?

        You will need an SSH client such as PuTTy and an Inteernet connection...
        or be on the same network as the node, in which case you ciykd connect
        to the local IP address.

        > As far as I know, my configuration will be
        > TheRadio --> EmbeddedNode --> InternetRouter --> USB_Broadband
        >
        > So my question with regards to 3, is how are file transfers made.
        > Nothing in this allows such a transfer. Would I make the connection
        > via another computer connected by Wi-Fi (from the router), or would I
        > be disconnecting the router and connecting a computer to the
        > EmbeddedNode, or would I be using the Com ports? It's not clear how
        > files are transferred to the embedded node. Can someone walk me
        > through this?

        You could use WinSCP for file transferrs. No need to disconnect
        anything. If you are on the same network, just connect to the local IP
        address. If you are somewhere else, just connect to stnXXXX.ip.irlp.net
        with XXX replaced with your node number. As long as your port
        forwarrding is set up correctly, you will ne able to connect. For
        security reasons, place SSH on a non-standard port.

        > 4) Dave also said I would have to configure the node by, "You will
        > have to set up the proper networking in the IRLP node to talk to your
        > router. This will include providing an IP address to the node, either
        > entered statically or via DHCP, and forwarding ports through your
        > router."

        It's all part of the setup. If you use a fixed IP, you won't have to
        worry about DHCP changing the IP on you.

        > Again, how would I configure the node? What is the connection method?
        > Would it be by modifying a script file and then transferring it to the
        > embedded node via SSH? Can someone walk me through how I'd be
        > configuring the IRLP node with the IP info?

        Being an embedded node, most of the configuration will be done for you.
        Still, you will need to follow the enclosed instructions to finish i
        off. I'm not sure what you are transferring to the node, unless you are
        referring to the custom audio files. You can transfeer them usiing
        WinSCP.

        The connection is by TCPIP.

        > 5) The embedded node information page talks about various scripts that
        > can be run for admin control. I can't imagine being able to do that,
        > unless there is a monitor and/or keyboard attached.

        You can of course connect a monitor and keyboard, but it's easier to
        just connect to it using SSH.

        > 6) When the embedded node arrives, assuming I can every purchase one
        > :-), how much additional setup and configuration can be expected on my
        > end, using it in simplex mode. I will be using a GM300 on one end and
        > a CradlePoint router (CTR500), with USB Broadband card on the other
        > end, for the internet connection.

        You will need to make up an interface cable to go to the radio...
        ground, transmit audio, receive audio, PTT and COS.

        > 7) Is there a document somewhere that discusses using the
        > EmbeddedNode? How to use it, how to connect to it, how to load files,
        > etc?

        Everything will be a lot more apparent when you receive it and read the
        accompanying documentation. Even though it's an embedded node, you could
        still go to www.irlp.net/faq.html and www.irlp.net/new-install/ and do
        some reading.