Re: Using Wireless Broadband (with AT&T USBConnect)

  • k9dc
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7 2:30 PM
      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
      > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
      > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
      > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
      > ways of allowing port forwarding.
      >
      > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.

      You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.

      Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).

      -k9dc
    • ipscone
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8 9:12 AM
        I'll probably switch to Version, if I find the need. Right now, when using Echolink, I don't have to. But when I go to IRLP, I'm sure I'll switch.

        I'm curious why you say the coverage is poor. I have been using 3G AT&T for many years, ever since the 3G first appeared. I travel a lot and have never found a place where it doesn't work. I travel with my laptop all the time. I have traveled across the U.S., to France (Paris and Toulouse) and never had any problems connecting with AT&T internet. I even stopped once, on the freeway in Utah and placed an ebay bid from the side of the road.

        Anyway, the 2nd part is why you say EchoLink doesn't work. I have a Jeep mounted EchoLink right now and it's working great. I drove for 2 hours yesterday and connected to many conferences, reflectors, repeaters and even a link in Mtn. Home Ar, from my Jeep, using AT&T USBConnect card. It's in the house right now, but is running on AT&T USBConnect Dongle. My node number is 454189.

        Mike

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:

        > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
        > > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
        > > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
        > > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
        > > ways of allowing port forwarding.
        > >
        > > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.
        >
        > You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.
        >
        > Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).
        >
        > -k9dc

      • ipscone
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20 8:46 PM
          I switched to Verizon and looks like I have good coverage. Now to get the IRLP node. :-)

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

          > I'll probably switch to Version, if I find the need. Right now, when using Echolink, I don't have to. But when I go to IRLP, I'm sure I'll switch.
          >
          > I'm curious why you say the coverage is poor. I have been using 3G AT&T for many years, ever since the 3G first appeared. I travel a lot and have never found a place where it doesn't work. I travel with my laptop all the time. I have traveled across the U.S., to France (Paris and Toulouse) and never had any problems connecting with AT&T internet. I even stopped once, on the freeway in Utah and placed an ebay bid from the side of the road.
          >
          > Anyway, the 2nd part is why you say EchoLink doesn't work. I have a Jeep mounted EchoLink right now and it's working great. I drove for 2 hours yesterday and connected to many conferences, reflectors, repeaters and even a link in Mtn. Home Ar, from my Jeep, using AT&T USBConnect card. It's in the house right now, but is running on AT&T USBConnect Dongle. My node number is 454189.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
          > > > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
          > > > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
          > > > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
          > > > ways of allowing port forwarding.
          > > >
          > > > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.
          > >
          > > You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.
          > >
          > > Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).
          > >
          > > -k9dc

        • James Nessen
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22 5:30 PM
            you will be happy with the verizon card. i recently used my usb um175 card extensively on my trip from sacramento to vegas (used a portable irlp node), had 0 issues with it!

            Jim

            --
            Jim Nessen K6JWN
            Email: nessenj@... | Ph: 530.979.0894