Using Wireless Broadband (with AT&T USBConnect)

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 11:46 PM
      Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or ways of allowing port forwarding.

      I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.
    • James Nessen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 10:22 AM
        From what I hear about AT&T they pretty much block anything incoming (and I think you get a NAT'd IP address).  VZW on the other hand gives you a public IP and I have yet to find anything that's blocked.

        Dunno if they offer "business" packages, but you may want to look there.

        Jim / K6JWN

        --
        Jim Nessen K6JWN
        Email: nessenj@... | Ph: 530.979.0894

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 11:07 AM

          Makes me think of changing their slogan:  AT&T:  Your world, NOT delivered.

          :-)

          Nate WY0X

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 3:15 PM
            OT: Being this is an EchoLink question, in preparation for my IRPL node. I'm just using EchoLink now, because I have all the equipment necessary. :-) But my goal is to move to IRLP, once I understand this Cell Broadband Internet connection.

            I did a firewall test today, using EchoLink, and my AT&T USBConnect Mercury dongle, for internet connection. I have no firewall nor router connected. I failed the Firewall test 1 on both 5198 and 5199, however, the report said that the UDP ports don't appear to be blocked.

            I passed Test 2. The report said I could probably connect to most nodes but might find problems with "some" nodes.

            Then, I did a test by attempting to connect to EchoLink nodes and found that I could connect and receive and transmit audio between stations, using my cell broadband connection.

            So, my next question is, what do those Test 1 tests do and does it really matter, as long as I can send and receive audio and connect to stations? "Failing" these tests doesn't sound promising, however, I have yet to find anything I can't do.

            Anyone have any clue what failing those Test 1 tests actually means?

            Mike

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, James Nessen <nessenj@...> wrote:

            > From what I hear about AT&T they pretty much block anything incoming
            > (and I think you get a NAT'd IP address). VZW on the other hand gives
            > you a public IP and I have yet to find anything that's blocked.
            >
            > Dunno if they offer "business" packages, but you may want to look there.
            >
            > Jim / K6JWN
            >
            > On Apr 5, 2009, at 11:46 PM, ipscone wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
            > > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
            > > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder if
            > > there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or ways of
            > > allowing port forwarding.
            > >
            > > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the
            > > port forwarding problem.
            > >

            > --
            > Jim Nessen K6JWN
            > Email: nessenj@... | Ph: 530.979.0894
            > IRLP: Nodes 3598 and 3633 | Echolink: 83598 K6JWN-R | AllStar: Nodes
            > 2142 and 2165

          • k9dc
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7 2:30 PM
              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
              > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
              > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
              > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
              > ways of allowing port forwarding.
              >
              > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.

              You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.

              Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).

              -k9dc
            • ipscone
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8 9:12 AM
                I'll probably switch to Version, if I find the need. Right now, when using Echolink, I don't have to. But when I go to IRLP, I'm sure I'll switch.

                I'm curious why you say the coverage is poor. I have been using 3G AT&T for many years, ever since the 3G first appeared. I travel a lot and have never found a place where it doesn't work. I travel with my laptop all the time. I have traveled across the U.S., to France (Paris and Toulouse) and never had any problems connecting with AT&T internet. I even stopped once, on the freeway in Utah and placed an ebay bid from the side of the road.

                Anyway, the 2nd part is why you say EchoLink doesn't work. I have a Jeep mounted EchoLink right now and it's working great. I drove for 2 hours yesterday and connected to many conferences, reflectors, repeaters and even a link in Mtn. Home Ar, from my Jeep, using AT&T USBConnect card. It's in the house right now, but is running on AT&T USBConnect Dongle. My node number is 454189.

                Mike

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:

                > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
                > > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
                > > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
                > > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
                > > ways of allowing port forwarding.
                > >
                > > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.
                >
                > You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.
                >
                > Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).
                >
                > -k9dc

              • ipscone
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20 8:46 PM
                  I switched to Verizon and looks like I have good coverage. Now to get the IRLP node. :-)

                  --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

                  > I'll probably switch to Version, if I find the need. Right now, when using Echolink, I don't have to. But when I go to IRLP, I'm sure I'll switch.
                  >
                  > I'm curious why you say the coverage is poor. I have been using 3G AT&T for many years, ever since the 3G first appeared. I travel a lot and have never found a place where it doesn't work. I travel with my laptop all the time. I have traveled across the U.S., to France (Paris and Toulouse) and never had any problems connecting with AT&T internet. I even stopped once, on the freeway in Utah and placed an ebay bid from the side of the road.
                  >
                  > Anyway, the 2nd part is why you say EchoLink doesn't work. I have a Jeep mounted EchoLink right now and it's working great. I drove for 2 hours yesterday and connected to many conferences, reflectors, repeaters and even a link in Mtn. Home Ar, from my Jeep, using AT&T USBConnect card. It's in the house right now, but is running on AT&T USBConnect Dongle. My node number is 454189.
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone know if it's possible to do port forwarding with AT&T
                  > > > USBConnect Mercury broadband wireless. I have heard this is a
                  > > > problem with AT&T. I know the quick answer is no but I wonder
                  > > > if there are any workarounds or if AT&T offers any packages or
                  > > > ways of allowing port forwarding.
                  > > >
                  > > > I hate to switch to Verison, if there is a way to get around the port forwarding problem.
                  > >
                  > > You are going to have to switch to someone. AT&T will not work for IRLP or Echolink. Their mobile broadband network is firewalled off from "unsolicited incoming connections" which is required for our products to work. You will also find that AT&T's 3G coverage is pretty limited also. Edge service does not provide enough bandwidth.
                  > >
                  > > Verizon and Sprint both work fine (assuming coverage exists, check their maps).
                  > >
                  > > -k9dc

                • James Nessen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22 5:30 PM
                    you will be happy with the verizon card. i recently used my usb um175 card extensively on my trip from sacramento to vegas (used a portable irlp node), had 0 issues with it!

                    Jim