Can someone show complete block diagram of full setup

  • ipscone
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 10:12 AM
      I'm a bit confused how this all goes together. Partly because the ad for the embedded computer says all connections, to the radio, are made through a single DB-9 connector. If it is true that the radio to embedded-computer is through this single DB-9 connector, what are the 3 audio jacks for, as well as the DB-25 cable for?

      So, let me ask some questions

      I will have a Kenwood D710A radio. I will have a cradlepoint router with USBConnect card, to provide my internet access. This will be a mobile mounted system.

      1) So, I believe I would be connecting the D710A to the embedded computer, using the DB-9 cable (but are there other connections, between radio and embedded computer?

      2) I believe I'd be using a network cable between my Cradlepoint router and the embedded computer. Correct?

      3) Is that all that is required for the basic IRLP connection between the radio and the internet?

      4) Now, I'd also like to connect a computer or (keyboard/display) to be able to access the OS and run scripts or other computer actions. What are the requirements for attaching computer/display/keyboard? What kind of options do I have in this regard?

      5) Is there any published block diagrams showing various complete system configurations? It would be nice to see the complexity of setting one of these up?
    • Harold Gilbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 6:01 AM
        On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Harold Gilbert <hgilbert42@...> wrote:
        when i brought my embedded node i decided to use a motorola m120 radio. i went to a web site and purchased a cable to connect my radio up to the embedded. node. all i had to do then was to plug in the db-9 connector, pluged the 2 audio cables into the sound card on back of node and the other end to the motorola radio and i was up on the air.

        k5mes-harold
        node 4273
        ph: number is 479-452-0884 (feel free to call me anytime)

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6 8:43 AM
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "ipscone" <ipscone@...> wrote:

          > I'm a bit confused how this all goes together. Partly because the ad for the embedded computer says all connections, to the radio, are made through a single DB-9 connector. If it is true that the radio to embedded-computer is through this single DB-9 connector, what are the 3 audio jacks for, as well as the DB-25 cable for?

          On an embedded node, the audio jack connections (line in and line out left sides) are mirrored on the DB-9. That way all the connections can be placed on a single connector.

          An embedded node does not come with the DB-25 cable. The IRLP board is mounted internally to the system.

          You can choose to use the audio jacks on the back of the computer if you wish, but you should not use both.

          > So, let me ask some questions
          >
          > I will have a Kenwood D710A radio. I will have a cradlepoint router with USBConnect card, to provide my internet access. This will be a mobile mounted system.
          >
          > 1) So, I believe I would be connecting the D710A to the embedded computer, using the DB-9 cable (but are there other connections, between radio and embedded computer?

          Everything you need to interface your D710A to the Embedded computer is available on the single DB-9, but you will require a special Kenwood cable (I think) to get those outputs.

          > 2) I believe I'd be using a network cable between my Cradlepoint router and the embedded computer. Correct?

          Yes.

          > 3) Is that all that is required for the basic IRLP connection between the radio and the internet?

          You will have to make sure you have a service that does not firewall incoming traffic. AT&T services have been known to do this. There are some that have had good luck with the Verizon service.

          > 4) Now, I'd also like to connect a computer or (keyboard/display) to be able to access the OS and run scripts or other computer actions. What are the requirements for attaching computer/display/keyboard? What kind of options do I have in this regard?

          There are standard VGA and PS-2 style keyboard connections on the node. It really is just a small standard motherboard.

          > 5) Is there any published block diagrams showing various complete system configurations? It would be nice to see the complexity of setting one of these up?

          I am not aware of any block diagrams that have been created. But there are others on this list with similar setups to what you are looking to do.

          Make sure to read the info document from the irlp.net website:

          http://www.irlp.net/embedded/Embedded_Info.pdf