New member -- Researching in County Down

  • gen2shad
    Message 1 of 296 , Sep 15, 2000
      Hi, I just joined the club. I'm doing research
      mostly in the County Down area and here in Canada where
      the family came in 1926. I'm pleased to say that I've
      managed to get back to my great-great grandfather, quite
      something seeing I hardly had any information even on my
      grandfather when I started.<br><br>Christin
    • eileencher_2000
      Message 296 of 296 , Feb 25, 2002
        Angie,<br>Do NOT get hung up on spelling. Our
        ancestors did not have a "correct" spelling of their
        surnames. When looking for your great grandfather, try
        every possible phonetic spelling of his last name. I
        have seen legal documentation where the name is
        spelled more that one way by the same person in the same
        document. (They also had their own system of figuring ages.
        My grandmother never used the same age
        twice.)<br>Good luck.