Just starting out...

  • lookn4fam
    Message 1 of 296 , Sep 3, 2001
      My son and I discovered that we really enjoy
      finding out our history. However, I am not really sure
      where to begin. I have information a few generations
      up, but am not sure how much info to keep, how to go
      any further and how to go about it w/o paying a
      fortune. I also am a Sullivan, which is a very common
      name, so i am not even sure where to begin with that.
      There are sooooo many. <br>Any advice, help, or
      information would be so appreciated!<br>Thank you, Angi
    • eileencher_2000
      Message 296 of 296 , Feb 25, 2002
        Angie,<br>Do NOT get hung up on spelling. Our
        ancestors did not have a "correct" spelling of their
        surnames. When looking for your great grandfather, try
        every possible phonetic spelling of his last name. I
        have seen legal documentation where the name is
        spelled more that one way by the same person in the same
        document. (They also had their own system of figuring ages.
        My grandmother never used the same age
        twice.)<br>Good luck.