Burke and Whalen, Galway Co.

  • dallassoz
    Message 1 of 296 , Jun 9, 2001
      Hi, I've just joined and was wondering if anyone
      could help me. I have reached Ireland in my family
      tree, and I'm wondering how to trace an ancestor with
      the popular surnames of Burke & Whalen.<br>Her death
      certificate states that she was born in Galway CO, and
      married both times in Ireland. No other information was
      given.<br>Her, Bridget Burke's, first husband was Edward Whalen,
      and he died in Ireland after coming back with their
      family from America in the early 1860's. Bridget then
      married a Patrick Quinn. <br>Why did I have to get
      ancestors with such common names?!, just lucky I
      guess.<br>Anyway, if anyone can help me... give me pointers, or
      possible organizations to write to I would be very
      grateful.<br><br>Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope to hear
      from someone soon.<br><br>Dallass
    • eileencher_2000
      Message 296 of 296 , Feb 25, 2002
        Angie,<br>Do NOT get hung up on spelling. Our
        ancestors did not have a "correct" spelling of their
        surnames. When looking for your great grandfather, try
        every possible phonetic spelling of his last name. I
        have seen legal documentation where the name is
        spelled more that one way by the same person in the same
        document. (They also had their own system of figuring ages.
        My grandmother never used the same age
        twice.)<br>Good luck.