McCartney's of County Down

  • Hunch_1
    Message 1 of 296 , Dec 14, 2000
      Hey all, has been awhile since I've had a chance
      to visit. Seems our club has fallen asleep. I am
      looking for info on John and Martha McCartney who
      immigrated form Ireland to New Brunswuck about 1920 - 1922.
      Anyone have any info on them.<br><br>Thanks Hunch
    • eileencher_2000
      Message 296 of 296 , Feb 25, 2002
        Angie,<br>Do NOT get hung up on spelling. Our
        ancestors did not have a "correct" spelling of their
        surnames. When looking for your great grandfather, try
        every possible phonetic spelling of his last name. I
        have seen legal documentation where the name is
        spelled more that one way by the same person in the same
        document. (They also had their own system of figuring ages.
        My grandmother never used the same age
        twice.)<br>Good luck.