[irf-members-news] High Value Tip: The Courier, on-line

  • Bruce Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 1999
      For several years I have thought that THE COURIER was one of the
      hidden gems of the development world --- solid information, mostly
      about development issues of substance in the Asia, Caribbean and
      Pacific countries (Lome Convention countries) published
      bi-monthly---lots about island countries.

      Here's more, from their web site:

      >The ACP-EU Courier is a development magazine produced by a
      >multicultural team of journalists within DG VIII---that's
      >Directorate General #8----of the European Commission. It is
      >published every two months (in English and French) and has a
      >circulation of approximately 80,000. The magazine has readers in
      >more than 150 countries and territories.
      >
      >Each issue of The Courier contains two principal features: 'Country
      >Reports' which deal with the current economic and political outlook
      >in specific ACP states, and the 'Dossier' which generally covers a
      >sector or theme of particular interest to developing countries.
      >
      >For the May-June 1999 issue of The Courier, the Dossier was about
      >Sustainable Tourism....
      >
      >In addition, the Introductory essay in this same issue is an
      >extended interview with MICHAEL KING, former executive director of
      >the Caribbean Conservation Association, on the subject of
      >Sustainable Tourism.

      IT'S FREE---

      >There is no charge for The Courier, although heavy demand may limit
      >its availability in HARD COPY.
      >
      >If you are interested in becoming a subscriber, please write to:
      >Margriet Mahy-van der Werf,
      >G-12 0/111
      >European Commission
      >200 Rue de la Loi
      >B1049 Brussels
      >Belgium.
      >Fax (32 2) 299 3002

      Now the ESPECIALLY good news

      There is a well hidden Web Page for THE COURIER at:

      http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg08/publicat/courier/index_en.htm

      This site includes the FULL TEXT and photos of all articles in the
      magazine, downloadable as PDF (Adobe Acrobat) documents --- I don't
      like that part so much, but you can pull down plain text versions of
      each article, which helps...

      best wishes

      bruce potter
      Island Resources Foundation
      27 Years of Environmental Planning for Development

      ><+><Web Site><+><+><http://www.irf.org/><+><+>< Web Site><+><

      Island Resources Foundation |+|Island Resources Foundation
      Headquarters & Library |+|Contributions and Publications
      6292 Estate Nazareth No. 100 |+|1718 "P" Street NW, Suite T-4
      St. Thomas, VI 00802-1104 |+|Washington, DC 20036
      Phone 340/775-6225 |+|Phone 202/265-9712
      fax 779-2022 |+|fax 232-0748
      Internet: etowle@... |+|irf@...

      Promote Island Resources---Send Your $35 Membership to the DC Office