Fwd: [GLISPA Discuss] Global Ocean Commission Survey -- IMPORTANT POLICY INPUT

  • Bruce Potter at IRF
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2013
      PLEASE reply to this survey to ensure SMALL ISLAND points-of-view are considered.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Kristian Teleki <kristian.teleki@...>
      Subject: [GLISPA Discuss] Global Ocean Commission Survey
      Date: September 13, 2013 7:05:33 AM EDT

      Dear Colleagues and Friends,

      The Commissioners of the Global Ocean Commission are undertaking a broad consultative process to help formulate their recommendations and report which are due out next year (2014).

      As part of this process a global survey has been developed in seven languages (links below) that seeks ideas, thoughts and views on ocean issues, particularly those related to the high seas,  which the Global Ocean Commission is considering in its deliberations.

      I would be grateful if you could take the time to provide the Global Ocean Commission with your perspectives by completing the survey and also circulate the links to to your ocean/marine/policy colleagues and networks in your region.

      The background to the survey can be found here:

      (Note that this can be found in the other six languages by toggling the top right hand language button.)

      With my thanks and that of the Global Ocean Commission's,

      Kristian Teleki

      Kristian Teleki | Global Ocean Commission | Director of Global Engagement  | +44 7896 922 198 | kristian.teleki@...

      A [REPLY] to a message on this group goes to the ENTIRE GROUP.

      For more options, visit this group on-line at
      http://groups.google.com/group/glispa-discuss?hl=en?hl=en

      <http:www.glispa.org/>

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GLISPA-Discuss" group.

    • Dennis Hubbard
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2013
        Bruce et al:

        I have a student who is interested in working after graduation with individuals who are working with water sourcing and distribution issues on islands with different physical and socio-political constraints. He is preparing a proposal for a Watson Fellowship (due in a couple of weeks) and is looking for contacts who might be able to help him on site (he'll have his own support) or provide background information for his proposal. I could imagine contrasts like high versus low islands and carbonate versus volcanic basements as a start for thinking about the physical side of things. The socio-political variability seems infinite.

        As this is way outside of my usual sphere of thinking, I thought I'd email you to see if you had any contacts that could provide some context and suggestions.

        If you have any ideas, please contact me individually and I will pass the information on to my student.

        Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

        Dennis

        From: Kristian Teleki <kristian.teleki@...>
        Date: September 13, 2013 7:05:33 AM EDT

[...]

        Bruce

        --
        Dennis Hubbard
        Chair, Dept of Geology-Oberlin College Oberlin OH 44074

         "When you get on the wrong train.... every stop is the wrong stop"
         Benjamin Stein: "Ludes, A Ballad of the Drug and the Dream"
      • Marlon Mills
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2013
          Hi Dennis,
          My name is Marlon Mills and I am from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I was linked to your message to IRF thought I should respond with this information.

          Before I left St. Vincent to return to the UK a few weeks ago, I saw an advertisement in the local newspapers that was placed by the National Parks Rivers and Beaches Authority seeking professionals to so a study at particular watershed areas in SVG. Since this project is about to begin soon, perhaps there is an opportunity for your student to get on board in respect of his individual research.

          The head of the NPRBA is a Mr. Andrew Wilson and you should be able to get their contact information on the Internet. If not, I should be able to assist you with that information.

          Sincerely yours,
          Marlon Mills

          Sent from my iPad