Wikipedia: Another Tool to Bridge Island Isolation. . . .

  • Bruce Potter at IRF
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 5:51 AM
      We've been a supporter of Wikipedia for several years, because we think it's an important way to make reliable information accessible and affordable to the widest possible audience.

      This year's response to our donation highlights an issue and opportunity that organizations and individuals should seriously consider to make people aware of the significance of what we're engaged in. . .

      Make a Wikipedia entry for your town, island, organization or family. . . we would all like to know about it.

      Bruce Potter

      Begin forwarded message:

      Dear Bruce,

      Thanks to more than a million generous donations, our annual fundraiser was over in record time. We said thank you on Wikipedia at the end of 2012. In case you missed that, we're saying it again here.

      Your donation makes it possible for the Wikimedia Foundation to provide thousands of volunteer editors with the tools and infrastructure they need to keep Wikipedia going -- software developers, a data center fit to serve the world's fifth most popular site, support programs around the world and more.

      Have you ever wondered who wrote the millions of articles on Wikipedia? This year we made a video to introduce you to just a few of them. If you have a few minutes, please watch:

      http://youtu.be/3Knv6D6Thi0
      (Note: Video hosted by YouTube, not Wikimedia, and is subject to YouTube's terms of use and privacy policy.)

      We also convinced a pair of independent filmmakers to donate this clip from their upcoming documentary film showing a remote village in Peru where children learn to edit Wikipedia and add an article about their own community:

      http://youtu.be/1XPnH_rF9ks
      (Also hosted by YouTube)