Apologies if you have already received this message.
I am encouraging all people on this mailing list to engage in the CBD Secretariat’s electronic forum contributing to the Indepth Review of the Programme of Work on Island Biodiversity (POWIB).
So what - you may ask – how does my voice count? It does! This is part of the process for developing the final 16 page paper to be submitted to the May SBSTTA next year. The electronic forum will aim to better understand:
1) How the POWIB has contributed to the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) on islands;
2) How the POWIB contributes/could contribute to the needs of island Parties and Parties with islands;
3) The POWIB as a way to leverage funding to implement the CBD;
4) The role of the POWIB in capacity-building efforts;
5) Ways to improve or facilitate implementation of the POWIB.
The success of this process depends largely on the input of Parties and relevant organizations. To this end, island Parties and Parties with islands, as well as relevant organizations and experts, are invited to use this online discussion forum to submit additional information to supplement and/or update the information in their voluntary reports http://www.cbd.int/island/reports.shtml
or fourth national reports.
The online discussion forum will be open for comments between 21 November and 9 December 2011
. This forum, and the review process it is part of, is arguably the best opportunity for island Parties and Parties with islands to highlight progress and challenges on issues of most concern to them prior to the eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties, 8 - 19 October 2012. I urge you to support this process to the best of your ability.
With best wishes for the holiday season.