Fwd: Fw: UNEP: EarthCorps is now accepting international applications.

  • Bruce Potter, IRF
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 7:25 AM
      As a registered UN Civil Society organization,
      working for the sustainable development of small
      islands internationally since 1972, Island
      Resources Foundation (see our web site at
      http://www.irf.org) would be happy to consider
      working with any local environmental NGO to
      support the nomination of an applicant from small
      islands for the six-month Earthcorps service
      training program described below. We, of course,
      would be most interested in assisting one of the
      dozens of NGOs that we have worked with directly
      over the past 35+ years, but we are always happy
      to meet new friends . . . . .

      It should be noted that we are unable to provide
      funding support for applicants' unmet costs of
      this program, but we would be able to provide
      assistance to sponsoring NGOs in soliciting funds
      from domestic and international sources.

      Bruce Potter <bpotter@...>
      Island Resources Foundation http://www.irf.org

      >From: UNEP Civil Society <Civil.Society@...>
      >Subject: UNEP: EarthCorps is now accepting international applications.
      >Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:47:08 +0300
      >
      >Dear Colleagues,
      >
      >Please see below opportunities with EarthCorps.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >The Major Groups and Stakeholders Branch
      >United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
      >P.O. 30552 Nairobi, Kenya
      >
      ><http://www.unep.org/civil_society/>http://www.unep.org/civil_society/
      >
      >If your organisation is engaged in the work of
      >UNEP, please register its profile at
      ><http://www.unep.org/civil_society/Registration/index5.asp>http://www.unep.org/civil_society/Registration/index5.asp
      >
      >----- Forwarded by Alexandra
      >Karekaho/UNEP/NBO/UNO on 14/07/2009 10:45 AM
      >-----
      >
      >"Mark Howard" <Mark@...>
      >13/07/2009 06:53 PM
      >
      >"UNEP Civil Society" <Civil.Society@...>
      >
      >UNEP: EarthCorps is now accepting international applications.
      >
      >EarthCorps is now accepting international
      >applications. Please consider forwarding this
      >announcement among your contacts working in
      >environmental conservation and restoration.
      >
      >EarthCorps offers a 6-month service learning
      >program in Seattle, Washington, USA that brings
      >together emerging environmental leaders to learn
      >the fundamentals of:
      >
      >Environmental Service
      >Community Building
      >Leadership
      >
      >EARTHCORPS CHARGES NO TUITION OR FEES for its
      >services and in fact supplies insurance,
      >individual homestay families, food, gear and a
      >monthly stipend to all international
      >participants. EarthCorps provides additional
      >support in acquiring US J-1 Trainee visas.
      >
      >EarthCorps has established the following minimum
      >criteria to be considered for the program:
      >
      >· 18-25 years of age
      >· Conversational English
      >· No Criminal Record
      >· Physically fit with a desire to work outdoors
      >
      >BEFORE YOU NOMINATE please note that EarthCorps
      >is required by the US government to ensure that
      >every applicant meets strict criteria in order
      >to qualify for a US J-1 Trainee visa. Before you
      >nominate please make sure your candidates meet
      >the following minimum criteria:
      >
      >· 4 year college degree in the environmental
      >field and 1 year of relevant work experience*
      >-OR-
      >
      >· 5 years of work experience in the environmental field*
      >
      >* These criteria are only for meeting US
      >government regulations regarding the J-1 Trainee
      >visa. US American team members may have less
      >experience than this when entering the program.
      >
      >DEADLINES AND START DATES:
      >
      >· Candidate Nomination Dead Line: September 31, 2009
      >· Applicant Application Dead Line: October 31, 2009
      >· Participant selection: November 2009
      >· Visa processing: December - February 2010
      >· Travel confirmation: February 2010
      >· EarthCorps Program starting date: March 2010
      >· EarthCorps Program graduation: August 2010

> [...]

      37 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands
      --
      Island Resources Foundation Fone 202/265-9712
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 fax 202/232-0748