Barbados: A Coral Paradise -- fantastic book by CERMES and the Coastal Zone Management Unit

  • Bruce Potter, IRF
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2008
      Was in Barbados last week at a meeting to discuss
      the significance of Ecosystem Based Management
      for the implementation of the Caribbean
      region-wide Large Marine Ecosystem Project
      [GEF-funded as an International Waters project,
      principal sponsors are CEHI, IOCARIBE, and the
      Centre for Resource Management and Environmental
      Studies (CERMES--headed by Robin Mahon at the
      University of the West Indies, Cave Hill campus)].

      By happy coincidence, during that meeting CERMES
      and the government's Coastal Zone Management Unit
      jointly hosted a wonderful party on December 11th
      at the Errol Barrow Creative Centre on the UWI
      Campus, with dance and poetry and readings and
      everything to launch BARBADOS: A CORAL PARADISE,
      as the last event in the one-year
      Year-of-the-Reef celebration that began last
      January.

      The party was great, but the book is WONDERFUL.
      Written by Angelique Braithwaite of the CZMU,
      Hazel Oxenford of UWI and CERMES, and Ramon Roach
      of the CZMU, it is totally locally written and
      designed (by 809 Design and Miller Publishing)
      with wonderful photos by amateur local
      photographers. Quoting from the introduction by
      Leonard Nurse (senior scientist at CERMES, the
      retired founding director of the CZMU, AND a
      principal author of the fourth report of the
      Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change):

      >"This book deserves to be read by every
      >'bred-and-born' Bajan, resident and visitor!
      >There is no specific target group and everyone
      >who reads it is thereafter entitled to engage in
      >self-congratulation, having exercised such good
      >judgment in purchasing a copy. You are
      >guaranteed a leisurely, entertaining read Š and
      >a life-long education. But you also have a
      >responsibility - to share this treasure with
      >others, so that collectively we can build an
      >'army' of volunteers dedicated to preserving and
      >enhancing our priceless coral reefs."

      Even better, this 100-page hard-cover book,
      profusely illustrated with a wonderful, bright,
      open design with some fantastic underwater
      photography, costs only Bdos$45 (that's about
      US$22.50). You can order it from Miller
      Publishing, Ltd., by calling 1-246-421-6700, or
      by e-mail at <miller@...>. Fortunately
      they accept credit cards, simplifying the
      currency transactions.

      For anyone with an interest in coral or
      environmental education, OR great writing, and
      wonderful pictures, buy yourself a terrific
      holiday present. You'll thank me for the
      suggestion.

      Bruce Potter

      < Check the Island Resources Web Site at http://www.irf.org/ >
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      > < > < > < > Send Memberships to the DC Office > < > < > < >
      > < > < > < > 1718 P Street NW, Suite T-4 > < > < > < >
      > < > < > < > Washington, DC 20036 USA > < > < > < >
      > < > < > < > Individual Memberships $35 > < > < > < >
      > < > < > < > Institutional Memberships $100 > < > < > < >
    • Roy Watlington
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2008

        Bruce, All:

        Please forgive this intrusion into the discussion.

        I wanted to let everyone know that, following my retirement from the University of the Virgin Islands next week, I can be reached at the following address for ocean-related matters:

        rwatlington@...

        I will continue working with CaRA, the Caribbean Regional Association (for CarICOOS, the Caribbean Regional Integrated Coastal Ocean Observing System).

        Interestingly, the book being discussed seems like it would be a welcome resource among the materials being identified by COSEE (Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence), a group with which CaRA is becoming involved, for ocean education. Congratulations to the authors.

        With best regards,

        Roy Watlington

        by e-mail at <miller@caribsurf. com>. Fortunately
        they accept credit cards, simplifying the
        currency transactions.

        For anyone with an interest in coral or
        environmental education, OR great writing, and
        wonderful pictures, buy yourself a terrific
        holiday present. You'll thank me for the
        suggestion.

        Bruce Potter

        < Check the Island Resources Web Site at http://www.irf. org/

        > < > < > < > Send Memberships to the DC Office > < > < > < >
        > < > < > < > 1718 P Street NW, Suite T-4 > < >
        < > < >
        > < > < > < > Washington ,
        DC 20036 USA > <
        > < > < >
        > < > < > < > Individual Memberships $35 > < >
        < > < >