Fwd: [WW2BW] Director for Caribbean Large Marine Ecosystem Project

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2008
      [DEADLINE for APPLICATIONS is June 6, 2008. --- this is the project
      that was authorized by a vote of the UN IOC Sub Commission for the
      Caribbean at a meeting in Barbados in 1995.

      Note the need to be based in Cartagena --- in previous times (like in
      the 20th century when the project proposal was first presented >:-}
      ), it would have been hard to implement from this base, but the new
      trans-Caribbean air services of COPA AIR makes this more feasible ---
      unfortunately the poor internet connectivity in Colombia is not an
      advantage.]

      bruce potter

      >To: <WW2BW@yahoogroups.com>
      >Cc: "'Paula Caballero'" <paula.caballero@...>
      >From: "Sasha Beth Gottlieb" <sgottlieb@...>
      >Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:45:20 -0400
      >Subject: [WW2BW] Vacancy Announcement for Caribbean Large Marine
      >Ecosystem Project
      >
      >Dear Colleagues
      >
      >On behalf of UNDP, we are pleased to forward on the attached vacancy
      >announcement for the post of Regional Project Coordinator for the Caribbean
      >Large Marine Ecosystems Project. Please note that it is also in the "files"
      >section for the WW2BW group - <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WW2BW/files/>
      >- <http://www.unops.org/> www.unops.org. Please disseminate to anyone you
      >think might be interested.
      >
      >Many thanks,
      >
      >SASHA

      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
      United Nations Office for Project Services Vacancy Announcement
      Midtermolen 3, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark

      Tel: +45 3546 7500 | Fax: +45 3546 7501 | E-mail: vacancies@...
      | Website: http://www.unops.org

      UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the
      world's needs for building peace,
      recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS
      is known for its ability to
      implement complex projects in all types of environments around the
      globe. In an effort to promote
      organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals
      for the following position:

      Vacancy Details
      Vacancy Code VA/2008/EUO/RPC/12

      Post Title Regional Project Coordinator
      Post Level L5

      Project

      Sustainable Management of the Shared Living Marine Resources of the
      Caribbean Large Marine Ecosystem (CLME) and Adjacent Regions

      Org Unit International Waters, EUO

      Duty Station Project Coordination Unit at IOC CARIBE Secretariat,
      Cartagena, Colombia
      Duration 1 year (with possibility of extensions for the duration of
      the project)

      Closing Date 6 June 2008

      Background

      The focus of the GEF intervention will be on assisting the Caribbean
      countries to improve the
      management of their shared living marine resources, most of which are
      considered to be fully or over
      exploited, through an ecosystem level approach. A preliminary
      Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA)
      identified three priority transboundary problems that affect the
      Caribbean Large Marine Ecosystem
      (CLME): unsustainable exploitation of fish and other living
      resources, habitat degradation and community
      modification, and pollution. The final TDA will serve as the science
      basis for development of an agreed
      program of interventions including fishery reforms, conservation
      measures and pollution control. A
      Strategic Action Programme (SAP) with a shared vision for the CLME
      will be developed, and required
      priority interventions, reforms and investments agreed to. The
      proposed project will facilitate the
      strengthening of fishery governance in the Caribbean at the regional,
      sub-regional and national levels by
      working with existing structures, strengthening horizontal and
      vertical linkages both politically and
      technically. To assist this process, the project will create an
      integrated information management system
      bringing together congruent fisheries, biological, pollution and
      socio-economic data and information as
      powerful management tool. Similarly, a monitoring and evaluation
      framework and a Regional Monitoring
      Environmental Programme will be developed. Pilot projects on specific
      transboundary fisheries (spiny
      lobster and reef fisheries) will trial governance models at the
      local, national and sub-regional levels and
      provide additional knowledge on means of applying ecosystem based
      approaches to fisheries
      management and determining the fisheries' socio-economic importance
      and sensitivities.

      Duties and Responsibilities

      The Regional Project Coordinator (RPC) shall be responsible for the
      overall coordination of all aspects of
      the UNDP-GEF CLME. He/she shall liaise directly with designated
      officials of the Participating Countries,
      other Members of the PSC, the Implementing Agency, the Executing
      Agency, UNDP Country Offices,
      existing and potential additional project donors, National Focal
      Points, and others as deemed appropriate
      and necessary by the PSC or by the RPC him/her self. The RPC will be
      also responsible for the
      management of the project as well as for the delivery of a number of
      technical activities. The budget and
      associated work plan will provide guidance on the day-to-day
      implementation based on the approved
      Project Document and on the integration of the various donor funded
      parallel initiatives. The RPC will be
      responsible for oversight of the pilot projects, and will provide
      guidance and orientation with a view to
      ensuring that these are fully aligned and harmonized with work
      undertaken within the main project.
      He/she shall be responsible for delivery of all substantive,
      managerial and financial reports from and on
      behalf of the Project. He/she will provide overall supervision for
      all staff in the Program Coordination Unit,
      as well as guiding and supervising all external policy relations,
      especially those related to other Projects
      within the CLME Project.

      General

      * Directly supervise the day to day work of the PCU through a team
      consisting of professional, technical
      and administrative staff

      * Prepare an Operational Work Plan for the duration of the project
      and corresponding Annual Work
      Plans based on the Project Document and inception report, under the
      general supervision of the
      Project Steering Committee and in close consultation and coordination
      with related Projects, National
      Focal Points, GEF Partners and relevant donors;

      * Coordinate and monitor the activities described in the work plan;

      * Coordinate the SAP development process and oversee the Governance
      Framework development;

      * Oversee implementation of the pilot projects, supervise the
      collection and analysis of lessons learned
      and best practices, and design replication strategies;

      * Organize and supervise all reporting activities to the GEF,
      Implementing and Executing agencies,
      ensuring adherence to the Agencies' administrative, financial and
      technical reporting requirements:

      * Ensure project compliance with all UN and GEF policies, regulations
      and procedures, as well as
      reporting requirements;

      * Ensure consistency between the various program elements and related
      activities provided or funded
      by other donor organizations;

      * Prepare and oversee the development of Terms of Reference for
      consultants and contractors;
      * Coordinate and oversee preparation of the substantive and
      operational reports from the Program,
      including the revised TDA;

      * Promote the Project and seek opportunities to leverage additional
      co-funding; and

      * Represent the Project at meetings and other project related fora
      within the region and globally, as
      required.

      Adminstrative

      * Oversees and manages the finances and is responsible for approving
      all administrative and financial
      reports, external communications and travel requests, as well as the
      acquisition of equipment, goods
      and services;

      * Manage the PCU, its staff, budget and imprest account, in line with
      UNOPS/UN rules and regulations

      * Keep the Steering Committee informed of project development
      including through the organization of
      Steering Committee meetings;

      * Prepare the agenda and all technical background documentation, in
      consultation with other partners,
      for Steering Committee meetings; acts as Secretary to the SC meetings,

      Required Selection Criteria

      Competencies

      Education/Experience/Language

      Education: Post-graduate degree in the Marine Sciences, Environmental
      Management, Natural
      Resources Management or a directly related field (e.g. fisheries
      management, etc.)

      Work Experience: At least fifteen years experience in fields related
      to the assignment at national and international levels. Demonstrated
      experience in management of multi-disciplinary projects, preferably
      of bi-national or regional scope, including team-building skills.
      Demonstrated diplomatic, interpersonal,networking and negotiating
      skills. Familiarity with the goals and procedures of international
      organizations, in particular those of the GEF and its partners (UNDP,
      UNEP, the World Bank, IOC of UNESCO and regional organizations
      related to Project activities, and currently identified Project
      donors). Previous work experience in one or more of the participating
      countries, and previous work experience in the region on issues
      related to the Project will be very favorably considered.

      Other Skills: Effective oral and written presentation skills.
      Experience in administration for budget and human resources
      management required. Good professional knowledge of main office
      computer applications desired.

      Languages: English, Spanish and French are the working languages of
      the participating countries. For the post fluency in oral and written
      English and Spanish is a requirement. Knowledge of French is an asset.

      Submission of Applications

      Qualified candidates may submit their application, in English,
      including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an
      updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) English Version,

      Charlotte Kjellander EUO, via e-mail to CharlotteK@... .

      Kindly indicate the vacancy number and
      the post title in the subject line when applying by email.

      Other Useful Information

      The full Project Document can be found at
      http://www.iwlearn.net/iw-projects/Fsp_11279947037

      Additional Considerations

      -Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
      -Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
      -Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
      -UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the
      advertised level of the post.

      For more information on UNOPS, including its core values and
      competencies, please visit the UNOPS
      website at www.unops.org.

      Tel: +45 3546 7500 | Fax: +45 3546 7501 | E-mail: vacancies@...
      | Website: http://www.unops.org

      35 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands
      --
      Island Resources Foundation Fone 202/265-9712
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 fax 202/232-0748