2005: USGS reports on lessons learned Hurricanes and Earth Scientists

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      See //pottersweal.wordpress.com/ for a comment on this press release. . . . bp

      >To: "GSJ," <gsj50years@...>, "Ahmad, Rafi" <Rafi.Ahmad@...>,
      > Subject: Hurricanes and Earth Scientists USGS reports on their lessons
      >From: franklin.jmcd@...
      >Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:02:42 +0000
      >
      >Please share
      >
      >Report: How the USGS Responded to 2005 Hurricanes and Addresses Storms Today
      >Released: 2/1/2008 8:21:13 AM
      > Contact Information:
      >U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
      >Office of Communication
      >119 National Center
      >Reston, VA 20192 Gaye Farris
      >Phone: 337-266-8550
      >
      >Clarice Nassif Ransom
      >Phone: 703-648-4299
      >
      >---------------
      >
      >Scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) say that the
      >lessons learned and technology deployed before, during and after
      >Hurricanes Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma in 2005 can be used to
      >help the public, emergency responders and policymakers prepare for
      >and reduce losses from future hurricanes. This and much more is
      >detailed in, "Science and the Storms: the USGS Response to the
      >Hurricanes of 2005," a new USGS report which was discussed today at
      >two Congressional briefings.
      >
      >The publication showcases everything from the discovery of new storm
      >surge modeling techniques to the use of satellite imagery and
      >airborne lidar, or light detection and ranging, to measure land loss
      >and landscape change to how science helps determine water quality
      >and flooding threats.
      >
      >"Hurricane Rita was the first time we were able to record a
      >hurricane surgethe average water level when a hurricane hitsacross
      >its entire impact zone, from Louisiana to Texas," said USGS
      >Louisiana Water Science Center Director Charlie Demas. "This helps
      >us with storm surge modeling to better understand the potential
      >damage of future hurricanes, and it was not available before
      >Hurricane Rita."
      >
      >Storm surges can wipe out entire communities. Many times, the waves
      >on top of the storm surge are as high as the surge is deep.
      >
      >"Holly Beach, Louisiana, is the only community that I know of that
      >was completely destroyed during a hurricane," said USGS
      >Oceanographer Ashbury Sallenger, talking about Hurricane Rita's
      >impact. "It remains one of the most potentially hazardous locations
      >in the nation."
      >
      >After the storms, scientists used satellite imagery coupled with
      >geographic information systems to analyze wetland loss. They
      >concluded that Louisiana lost 217-square miles of wetlands as a
      >result of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
      >
      >"People in Louisiana have literally watched their land sink before
      >their eyes," said USGS National Wetlands Research Center Director
      >Gregory J. Smith." These are the same wetlands that provide a
      >critical line of defense against coastal storms."
      >
      >USGS and its partners such as NASA and the U.S. Army Corps of
> [...]

      Table of Contents for the report

      Contents

      Front Matter PDF (1.15 MB)

      Foreword

      Preface

      Acknowledgments

      Chapter 1. The Need for Science in Restoring Resilience to the
      Northern Gulf of Mexico

      Restoring Resilience to the Gulf of Mexico Coast PDF (991 kB)

      Chapter 2. The Storms of 2005

      Cycles of Hurricane Landfalls on the Eastern United States Linked to
      Changes in Atlantic Sea-surface Temperatures PDF (767 kB)

      The Major Hurricanes of 2005: a Few Facts PDF (2.1 MB)

      Chapter 3. Rescue and Response

      USGS Humanitarian and Geospatial Response for Search and Rescue After
      Hurricanes Katrina and Rita PDF (1 MB)

      Using Geospatial Technology To Process 911 Calls After Hurricanes
      Katrina and Rita PDF (1 MB)

      Geotechnical Reconnaissance of the Mississippi River Delta
      Flood-protection System After Hurricane Katrina PDF (2.9 MB)

      Analysis of the Interstate 10 Twin Bridge's Collapse During Hurricane
      Katrina PDF (3 MB)

      Estimation of Post-Katrina Debris Volume: an Example from Coastal
      Mississippi PDF (930 kB)

      Hurricane Katrina Flooding and Oil Slicks Mapped with Satellite
      Imagery PDF (1.1 MB)

      Topography-based Analysis of Hurricane Katrina Inundation of New
      Orleans PDF (879 kB)

      Temporal Analysis of Floodwater Volumes in New Orleans After
      Hurricane Katrina PDF (1.5 MB)

      Chapter 4. How Technology Helps

      USGS Rocky Mountain Geographic Science Center's 2005 Hurricane
      Response and Recovery Activities PDF (4.4 MB)

      Data Access and Dissemination for Emergency Response and Long-term
      Recovery Efforts Related to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita PDF (920 kB)

      GIS for the Gulf: a Reference Database for Hurricane-affected Areas
      PDF (614 kB)

      ASTER and USGS EROS Emergency Imaging for Hurricane Disasters PDF (1.2 MB)

      Chapter 5. Landscape Changes

      Aerial Rapid Assessment of Hurricane Damages to Northern Gulf Coastal
      Habitats PDF (2 MB)

      Land Area Changes in Coastal Louisiana After Hurricanes Katrina and
      Rita PDF (5.1 MB)

      Extreme Changes to Barrier Islands Along the Central Gulf of Mexico
      Coast During Hurricane Katrina PDF (1.1 MB)

      Impacts of Hurricane Rita on the Beaches of Western Louisiana PDF (1 MB)

      Chapter 6. Ecological Impacts

      Impacts of Hurricane Katrina on Floodplain Forests of the Pearl River
      PDF 1.4 MB)

      Broad-scale Response of Landbird Migration to the Immediate Effects
      of Hurricane Katrina PDF (943 kB)

      Potential Consequences of Saltwater Intrusion Associated with
      Hurricanes Katrina and Rita PDF (2.2 MB)

      Cheniere Forest as Stopover Habitat for Migrant Landbirds: Immediate
      Effects of Hurricane Rita PDF (1.7 MB)

      Sediment Deposition from Hurricane Rita on Hackberry Beach Chenier in
      Southwestern Louisiana PDF (1.1 MB)

      Wind Damage and Salinity Effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita on
      Coastal Baldcypress Forests of Louisiana PDF (858 kB)

      A Tale of Two Storms: Surges and Sediment Deposition from Hurricanes
      Andrew and Wilma in Florida's Southwest Coast Mangrove Forests PDF
      (1.1 MB)

      Predicting Mangrove Forest Recovery on the Southwest Coast of Florida
      Following the Impact of Hurricane Wilma, October 2005 PDF (871 kB)

      Estuarine Response in Northeastern Florida Bay to Major Hurricanes in
      2005 PDF (2 MB)

      Research on the Impacts of Past and Future Hurricanes on the
      Endangered Florida Manatee PDF (851 kB)

      Chapter 7. Aquatic Environments

      Examining Offshore Sediment-hosted Contaminant Transport from
      Hurricane Katrina PDF (3.6 MB)

      Selected Chemical Composition of Deposited Sediments in the Flooded
      Areas of New Orleans Following Hurricane Katrina PDF (884 kB)

      Soil and Sediment Chemistry in the Mississippi River Delta Following
      Hurricane Katrina PDF (869 kB)

      Effects of Hurricane Katrina's Storm Surge on the Quality of Shallow
      Aquifers near the Northern Shoreline of Lake Pontchartrain,
      Southeastern Louisiana PDF (867 kB)

      Water Quality of Lake Pontchartrain and Outlets to the Gulf of Mexico
      Following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita PDF (928 kB)

      Effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita on the Chemistry of Bottom
      Sediments in Lake Pontchartrain, La. PDF (940 kB)

      Environmental Impact of Hurricane Katrina on Lake Pontchartrain PDF (1.2 MB)

      Bacteriological Water Quality in and Around Lake Pontchartrain
      Following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita PDF (926 kB)

      Characterization of Flood Sediments from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
      and Potential Implications for Human Health and the Environment PDF
      (3.8 MB)

      Monitoring Hurricane Rita Inland Storm Surge PDF (1.5 MB)

      Chapter 8. Science and the Storms: the Science Continues

      Current and Future Science Plans for Restoring a Resilient Coast PDF (602 kB)

      Back Matter PDF (466 kB)

      Epilogue

      35 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands
      --
      Island Resources Foundation Fone 202/265-9712
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 fax 202/232-0748