Development on St. KITTS Southeast Peninsula

  • Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2007
      In 1981 USAID built a cement road to the end of the SE Peninsula in
      St. Kitts at a cost of about $11 million, as I recall.

      Island Resources Foundation did an environmental impact assessment.
      Going beyond the strictly environmental effects of the road (as was
      our wont under Ed Towle), we offered the gratuitous and rather
      unwelcome advice to AID that it was unlikely that the
      USAID-envisioned blossoming of productive investments would occur,
      given the economic and social dynamics of land ownership the length
      of the peninsula.

      Well, obviously we were wrong --- here it is only 26 years later and
      it appears that big investments are imminent:

      >Final agreement signed for new resort in St Kitts
      >Published on Wednesday, July 4, 2007
      >
      >BASSETERRE, St Kitts (CUOPM): The St Kitts and Nevis Cabinet has
      >disclosed that the final agreement for a US$600 million project on
      >St Kitts' South East Peninsular that will bring investment,
      >employment and general economic activity in the Federation of St
      >Kitts and Nevis, has been signed.
      >
      >St Kitts Senator Nigel Carty. Photo by Erasmus Williams
      >Minister of State for Information, Senator Nigel Carty speaking
      >following Monday's Cabinet Meeting, said the agreement between the
      >Federal Government and the South Carolina-based Kiawah Development
      >Group was signed on June 15.
      >
      >Carty said during Monday's routine Cabinet session the Federal
      >Cabinet received an update on the resort project undertaken by the
      >Kiawah group.
      >
      >"This project will bring high-end development to the identified
      >area, including a marina, three hotels, a golf course, high-end
      >residential units and commercial buildings," said Carty, pointing
      >out that Government had earlier stated that its negotiating team was
      >finalising the agreement to facilitate the stated development.
      >
      >"Cabinet is therefore pleased to report officially that the final
      >agreement between the government and the Kiawah development group
      >was signed on June 15, 2007. In its meeting earlier today (Monday),
      >Cabinet settled a number of house-keeping matters in relation to the
      >development agreement," said Carty.
      >
      >He added that the Cabinet took the opportunity to reaffirm its
      >strong support for the project considering the enormous benefits it
      >would bring for investment, employment and general economic activity
      >in the Federation of St Kitts and Nevis.
      >
      >Subscribe to our daily news headlines

      from Caribnetnews at -http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-2361--35-35--.html-

      35 Years of Environmental Service to Small Tropical Islands
      --
      Island Resources Foundation Fone 202/265-9712
      1718 "P" St NW, # T-4 fax 202/232-0748