[irf-members-news] Dear Santa Claus . . .

  • Bruce Potter at Island Resources
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 1999
      Just wanted to take a quick minute from holiday and other preparations to
      pass on to all of Island Resources Foundation's friends, the very best
      wishes for the holidays.

      The past couple of months have been hectic for everyone, including a GREAT
      deal of travel.
      Ed and Judith and Jean Pierre have made a truly Herculean effort
      to complete the move to the new offices at 123 Main Street in Road Town.
      With the help of Lori [Tesolin] and Wolfram [Dressler], the two Canadian
      OCOD Volunteers who have been working with us in Road Town these past
      several months, the office is now ready for visitors and researchers.
      If Santa Claus is listening, we've been REAL GOOD, and we need
      some stuff for the new office, including:
      1) A copy machine so that students and researchers can make copies of
      what they find in the Library;
      2) A computer so that we can be y2K compliant and everything....and
      3) A vehicle (sorry Santy, but we can't make it with that used
      sleigh...but let's see what Luis Lora can do for us. . . see below.)

      Friends of the Foundation should keep in mind that DUES and DONATIONS of
      cash OR goods are tax free in the USVI and the United States.
      ALSO, we have just formalized a deal with Luis Lora, which now
      enables us to take tax-deductible donations of USED CARS (in the Washington
      area) and turn them into cash to support sustainable development projects,
      especially on the islands of San Andres, Old Providence and Santa Catalina.
      This seems a bit unconventional, but with the USAID program in Colombia
      firmly committed to armaments, we thought we'd try some other ways to
      support environmentally sane and sustainable development, and Luis has been
      a great help in volunteering to set up the arrangements. [Turning cars into
      charitable donations is pretty common in the DC area, but less common in
      other areas.]

      I've been doing a lot of traveling in the region, much of it related to
      SIDSnet training, where I encountered three of the FOUR hurricanes that
      I've been involved in this season (those three being Irene in Nassau, Jose
      right over the top of us in Antigua, and three days of rainy, windy tedium
      with Lenny in St. Kitts).

      One of the interesting Islannd Resources products of the last couple of
      months is the HTML version of the 1998 US Virgin Islands Water Quality
      Assessment Report, covering fiscal years 1996 and 1997. This is a big
      document for a web page, but you if you have a reasonably fast connection,
      you can read it or download it at <http://www.irf.org/vidpnr/305b_vi.htm>

      Good news from members of the Foundation include Mike Ivie's reports from
      SOMBRERO, where he and Jenny Daltry and a couple of other experts have
      gotten very excited over the UNIQUE ecologies that they found on Sombero.
      This should be helpful in trying to muster support for quashing the Beal
      Internnational proposal to turn the island into a rocket launch pad. Mike's
      trip was part of an expedition underwritten by the Royal Society for the
      Protection of Birds.

      Kevel Lindsay and Bruce Horwith also finished their Vegetative
      Classification and Biodiversity Profiles for St. Kitts and Nevis. One of
      these days we should be able to get those two documents and the similar
      pieces for Antigua-Barbuda up on the web site <http://www.irf.org>....in
      the meantime, if you want a soft copy, we can send you a diskette.

      Finally, one of these days we'll be announcing a formal office opening in
      Road Town --- maybe even by the time Judith sends out our annual report. In
      the meantime, if you happen to see Santa Claus --- remind him about the
      list above.

      Thanks and very best wishes for the holidays....

      bruce potter

      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Island Resources survives on contributions and memberships.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      >< ><Web Site>< >< ><http://www.irf.org/>< >< >< Web Site>< ><
      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Island Resources Foundation |+|Island Resources Foundation
      6292 Estate Nazareth No. 100 |+|1718 "P" Street NW, Suite T-4
      St. Thomas, VI 00802-1104 |+|Washington, DC 20036
      Phone 340/775-6225,fax 779-2022|+|Phone 202/265-9712,fax 232-0748
      Internet: etowle@... |+|irf@...
    • Kincey_Potter@amsinc.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 1999
        Nice message!