IPTC Photo Metadata draft 2008: review and comment please

  • Michael Steidl (IPTC)
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25 2:34 AM
      Group:

      In June 2007 the IPTC published its Photo Metadata White Paper 2007 (can still be obtained from http://www.iptc.org/goto?phmdwp2007) with a set of recommended metadata properties. As not all of them were part of a metadata standard the IPTC Photo Metadata Working group with members from news photography and stock photography companies and their organisations started to create standard specifications for these "orphan properties".

      A draft specification "IPTC Photo Metadata 2008" is publicly available for review now and the IPTC invites you to send comments on this draft to this iptc-photometadata Yahoo group by 15 May 2008 by the latest.

      You can download the draft document from

      http://www.iptc.org/std-dev/PhotoMetadata/2008/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata- 2008_2.pdf

      (If you have problems with a line-wrapped URL use

      http://www.iptc.org/std-dev/PhotoMetadata/2008/specification/

      and click on the only document in the folder.)

      The IPTC Photo Metadata 2008 are split into two formal specifications:

      - the IPTC Core schema of properties, this is a version 1.1 of the IPTC Core which already exists since 2005. The changes of v 1.1 are minor and aim at fixing issues which came up since the standard is in wide use.

      - the IPTC Extension schema of new properties which complements and extends the IPTC Core properties.

      Thank you for your input

      Michael

      Sent by:
      Michael Steidl
      Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
      "Information Technology for News"
      Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

    • richard clark
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25 2:46 AM
        Michael
        Are you happy for this document to be added as a liaison document to the JPEG committee document register for comment?
        Regards
        Richard Clark: richard@...
        Elysium Ltd, Crowborough, UK - JPEG Editor and WebMaster
        "Let standard-authors, thus, like trophies borne
        Appear more glorious as more hacked and torn" ;<{)
        Alexander Pope (1688-1744), The Dunciad

        Michael Steidl (IPTC) wrote:

[...]

        ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ==
        Sent by:
        Michael Steidl
        Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@iptc. org>

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25 3:00 AM
          Richard

          great idea, yes please, add the document. We are eager to see comments from parties beyond our "regulars".

          thank you

          Michael

          ======================================= ===========

          Sent by:

          Michael Steidl

          Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>

          "Information Technology for News"

          Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc .org

          Sent by:
          Michael Steidl
          Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
          "Information Technology for News"
          Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

        • Andrea de Polo
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25 5:20 AM
            Dear michael, all,

            I have passed the document to my people at the alinari picture archive office and so far no comments have been issued.

            From my side I can propose to have a link to download this document to the public from our research page http://eu.alinari.it

            I can also promote it and look for feedback in malta during the mile european project meeting.

            Thanks to let me know if those 2 proposals sound ok with you.

            Regards.
            Andrea

            <mailto:richard@...> richard@...

            <http://www.iptc> http://www.iptc .org/goto?phmdwp2007) with a set of recommended metadata properties. As not all of them were part of a metadata standard the IPTC Photo Metadata Working group with members from news photography and stock photography companies and their organisations started to create standard specifications for these "orphan properties".

            <http://www.iptc> http://www.iptc .org/std-dev/PhotoMetadata/ 2008/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata- 2008_2.pdf

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28 3:21 AM
                Dear Michael and all,

                My couple of observations:

                page 6: Exif and GPS/Exif are not explicitly mentionned in "Technical
                metadata" section; they are the most well know tech metadata and are
                widely used, it could be interesting to mention them in this paragraph
                and not only in Addendum 1.

                page 14: according to Implementation note(s) for "Date Created", IIM
                mapping must be "2:55 Date Created + 2:60 Time Created"

                page 26: why a date (2008-02-29) appears in URI namespace for IPTC
                Extension instead a version number ? Why not to choose a structure
                similar to IPTC Core URI namespace, i.e. something like:
                http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpExt/1.0/xmlns/

                In French newspapers, different photos can belong to an image set
                called "Reportage". This is an editorial concept widely used and very
                different to Event (page 30), because an event can produce many
                "reportages" and one "reportage" is not always connected to an event
                (in magazine for exemple). Is there a possibility to add this notion
                in IPTC Exteions ?

                With best regards
                --
                Patrick Peccatte
                www.pixpalace.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28 6:54 AM
                  Dear Patrick

                  thank you for your input - please see my replies below:

                  On 28 Apr 2008 at 10:21, Patrick Peccatte wrote:

                  > Dear Michael and all,
                  >
                  > My couple of observations:
                  >
                  > page 6: Exif and GPS/Exif are not explicitly mentionned in "Technical
                  > metadata" section; they are the most well know tech metadata and are
                  > widely used, it could be interesting to mention them in this paragraph
                  > and not only in Addendum 1.

                  Our document is a *specification* document of IPTC metadata schemas. We are aware that
                  there are many more schemas and we acknowledge that Exif is of essential value for
                  capturing data at the time of shooting a photo - but we don't want to make anybody think Exif
                  is part of IPTC specifications now as this is not the fact. Thus we moved talking about
                  specific other metadata schemas to the addendum.

                  What we could make is to add a clear recommendation to use the data from Exif/GPS fields
                  for mapping in a name of the "Location the image was created" (Location Created)

                  > page 14: according to Implementation note(s) for "Date Created", IIM
                  > mapping must be "2:55 Date Created + 2:60 Time Created"

                  See the Implementation note of Date Created - do you think this is not sufficient?

                  > page 26: why a date (2008-02-29) appears in URI namespace for IPTC
                  > Extension instead a version number ? Why not to choose a structure
                  > similar to IPTC Core URI namespace, i.e. something like:
                  > http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpExt/1.0/xmlns/

                  At the IPTC we have taken a general decision for all our standards to use namespace URIs
                  which do not correspond to a specific version, and we recommended to use a date. The
                  reason is obvious for IPTC Core 1.1: actually we would have to align the URL, but this would
                  invalidate all IPTC 1.0 implementations which would be wrong.

                  > In French newspapers, different photos can belong to an image set
                  > called "Reportage". This is an editorial concept widely used and very
                  > different to Event (page 30), because an event can produce many
                  > "reportages" and one "reportage" is not always connected to an event
                  > (in magazine for exemple). Is there a possibility to add this notion
                  > in IPTC Exteions ?

                  We discussed this use case and found two solutions:

                  - if you want to assert this photo is part of a Reportage then the Genre field should be used -
                  with the value "Feature" - this may require further discussion.

                  - if you want to identify a specific Reportage then the JobId field should be used: "Reportage-
                  20080428a"

                  Kind regards

                  Michael

                  > With best regards
                  > --
                  > Patrick Peccatte
                  > www.pixpalace.com
                  > www.softexperience.com

                  Sent by:
                  Michael Steidl
                  Managing Director of IPTC <mdirector@...>
                  Working to improve the efficiency of News exchange.
                  Visit our Web Site at http://www.iptc.org
                • Patrick Peccatte
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 28 7:43 AM
                    > Our document is a *specification* document of IPTC metadata schemas.
                    We are aware that
                    > there are many more schemas and we acknowledge that Exif is of
                    essential value for
                    > capturing data at the time of shooting a photo - but we don't want
                    to make anybody think Exif
                    > is part of IPTC specifications now as this is not the fact. Thus we
                    moved talking about
                    > specific other metadata schemas to the addendum.

                    OK, I understand

                    > What we could make is to add a clear recommendation to use the data
                    from Exif/GPS fields
                    > for mapping in a name of the "Location the image was created"
                    (Location Created)

                    It is a good idea to refer to Exif/GPS for "Location the image was
                    created"

                    > > page 14: according to Implementation note(s) for "Date Created", IIM
                    > > mapping must be "2:55 Date Created + 2:60 Time Created"
                    > >

                    > See the Implementation note of Date Created - do you think this is
                    not sufficient?

                    It is sufficient, yes, but as far as I understand, the exact mapping
                    is "2:55 Date Created + 2:60 Time Created"
                    Just a detail...

                    > At the IPTC we have taken a general decision for all our standards
                    to use namespace URIs
                    > which do not correspond to a specific version, and we recommended to
                    use a date. The
                    > reason is obvious for IPTC Core 1.1: actually we would have to align
                    the URL, but this would
                    > invalidate all IPTC 1.0 implementations which would be wrong.

                    OK, I understand and agree

                    > We discussed this use case and found two solutions:
                    >
                    > - if you want to assert this photo is part of a Reportage then the
                    Genre field should be used -
                    > with the value "Feature" - this may require further discussion.
                    >
                    > - if you want to identify a specific Reportage then the JobId field
                    should be used: "Reportage-
                    > 20080428a"

                    This could be very useful to give this explanation in implementation
                    note. Because it seems actually not clear for many French agencies
                    which are using non standard fields in IIM to store "reportage name".
                    Actual sitation is very confused.
                    Assuming use of XMP technology and IPTC Core/IPTC Extension become
                    wider in the future, it will be very interesting to read IPTC
                    recommandation in an official paper to know what to do with "reportage
                    names".

                    Kind regards
                    Patrick Peccatte
                    www.pixpalace.com
                    www.softexperience.com
                  • Patrick Peccatte
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 28 9:50 AM
                      p. 17 Creator
                      "Aligning with IIM notions IPTC Core intents to have only one creator
                      for this news object [etc.]"
                      It seems that IIM By-line (#80) is repeatable, so the sentence does
                      not refer to IIM notions directly but refers to habitual
                      implementation like Photoshop.
                      --
                      Patrick Peccatte
                      www.pixpalace.com