Recommendation for iPad groups to join?

  • Bellsouth
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      I now have an iPad and would like to find a group like these iPod groups which are more product technical than social as the iPad Yahoo group seems to be. I have lots of questions how to effectively use the iPad and how the iPad works that don't seem to be the main interest of this group.

      One question I have which can most likely be answered by the iPod groups is is there a difference between the cables used for iPods and iPads? I find I can transfer from my PC to both my iPod and iPad from iTunes using the cable for my iPod. But only the cable which came with the iPad will charge the iPad. Using the iPod cables do not charge the iPad. Why? Can an iPad cable be used for transfer to and charging of an iPod without damaging the iPod?

      Thanks,

      Don

      Sent from my iPad
    • Leslie Anne Chatterton
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012

        Hi Bellsouth,

        I can't help you with iPad groups as I'm a long time Xoom user (Android) but there must be some, but not necessarily on Yahoo. Try a search.

        As for the charging situation. I'm assuming you have the old 30 pin connector to the device. I found early on that my Xoom had the same charging system as the iPad, namely at a voltage higher than USB can supply. My wall wart says it's output is "12 volt, 1.5 Amp" and it has a very different sort of connector to the tablet. I believe the iPad is the same voltage, but it comes through a cable that looks like the iPod cable but is not wired the same.

        So the situation is rather complicated. When you plug your iPad's USB charging cable into the iPad charger it must have pins that connect at both ends with the 12 volt output of the charger. When you plug it into a computer, or an iPod charger (which can only supply 5 volts) it will sync either and charge the iPod but not the iPad. Both will sync the same way without any problem, in other words it's device independent for syncing.

        The advantage of a higher voltage battery is that it charges faster and can hold more current for longer usage between charges. The makes it worthwhile, albeit potentially confusing!

        As far as I know you cannot damage the iPod (5 v battery) with either cable because the pinout on the iPod itself only connects to the 5 volt output on the cable. If there is 12 volts coming on some pins they won't connect with the iPod. The iPod cable won't work to charge the iPad because it lacks the "high voltage" (12 volt) connections on either end.

        I hope this is a little clearer than "mud" and feel free to ask more questions if you don't get it. And I hope more experienced users will correct me if I am wrong - gently please...

        Best wishes,

        Leslie Anne (an iPod gen. 2 owner)

        On Dec 1, 2012 1:47 PM, "Bellsouth" <cordgrass@...> wrote:

        I now have an iPad and would like to find a group like these iPod groups which are more product technical than social as the iPad Yahoo group seems to be. I have lots of questions how to effectively use the iPad and how the iPad works that don't seem to be the main interest of this group.

        One question I have which can most likely be answered by the iPod groups is is there a difference between the cables used for iPods and iPads? I find I can transfer from my PC to both my iPod and iPad from iTunes using the cable for my iPod. But only the cable which came with the iPad will charge the iPad. Using the iPod cables do not charge the iPad. Why? Can an iPad cable be used for transfer to and charging of an iPod without damaging the iPod?

        Thanks,

        Don

        Sent from my iPad

      • Budd T
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
          For a good general iPad discussion group:
          iPad-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          For the "non-beginner" iPad user wanting to use it for more complex tasks:
          iPadSuperDeep-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Prior to the latest iPads, there are some cable differences. I have found a cable for the iPad will interface with a iPod Touch ok, but some iPod cables will be rejected by the iPad. I just leave my iPad cable connected to my iMac and sync/recharge both as needed.
          I just acquired the latest iPad ("Newer iPad"?, "iPad3GS"?, "iPad4"?, "This month's iPad"?) with the little Thunder jack. So like all the other iThing owners are having to do, I bought the Thunder to 30 pin adaptor along with it.

          Having spoken, TPad moved on...

          --- In ipod_touch@yahoogroups.com, Bellsouth <cordgrass@...> wrote:

          > I now have an iPad and would like to find a group like these iPod groups which are more product technical than social as the iPad Yahoo group seems to be. I have lots of questions how to effectively use the iPad and how the iPad works that don't seem to be the main interest of this group.
          >
          > One question I have which can most likely be answered by the iPod groups is is there a difference between the cables used for iPods and iPads? I find I can transfer from my PC to both my iPod and iPad from iTunes using the cable for my iPod. But only the cable which came with the iPad will charge the iPad. Using the iPod cables do not charge the iPad. Why? Can an iPad cable be used for transfer to and charging of an iPod without damaging the iPod?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Don
          >
          > Sent from my iPad

        • wayne mcnally
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
            greetings......... I thought that the cables were the same.  You might ask the ifixit guys

             wayne mcnally

            Sent from my iPad likely at a Starbucks