wall charger

  • jagu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
      Got a camera that has a usb to camera wall chargers. When you take the cord out of the wallplug, you can put in the cord that connected to itouch> The chargers is 120-am input 100-240v-50-60 hz max 0.2a output 5v-1.0a. Can this chargers charge the touch without hurting it?
    • Leslie Anne Chatterton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
        As long as the voltage is not above 5 volts you can't hurt your iPod Touch. I've used such wall warts and most work fine.

        The only issue is, does it produce sufficient output current? If I read you correctly your output is only 0.2 amps or 200 Milli-amps which is probably too low to do the charge in a reasonable time. For comparison, the power available from a USB port on a computer is rated at 500 ma.

        On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM, jagu <jaguar0@...> wrote:

        Got a camera that has a usb to camera wall chargers. When you take the cord out of the wallplug, you can put in the cord that connected to itouch> The chargers is 120-am input 100-240v-50-60 hz max 0.2a output 5v-1.0a. Can this chargers charge the touch without hurting it?

      • Bruce CS
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
          Even if your device has a light indicating it is charging, it may not.  During the summer, I was using a 12 volt portable battery, 12 USB adapter, and appropriate USB cable.

          While using my cell phone, not only did I have the light showing it was charging, but the battery discharged so much, the phone no longer would turn on, thought it was broken, till I tried another portable USB battery device I carried :)

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
            Are you keeping in mind that if the device is turned on that the battery is only being 'trickle charged'. Further, what you are doing with the device effects the rate of trickle charging. In other words if you are using the wi-fi on your phone while it is charging, it will take longer to charge then if it is in stand-by mode waiting for a call and wi-fi has been turned off.

            Sent from my iPod
            Ciao . . . C.Joseph

            The cause of most misery
            is not from the lack of information
            It is from the mis-interpretation of the surface data and the decision to ignore the rest.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
              no, I have fully charged the cell phone with a USB cable while the cell phone is turned on.  It may only trickle charge once the phone is fully charged.

              I am pretty sure this is true.  Depending on signal strength of the cell tower, the phone may not recharge fast enough, no matter what I try.  This is due to higher power to reach the cell tower.  This is when I am using a lower power USB power pack.

              I never noticed that much difference whether I have the Wifi off or on.

              Bruce