RE: [ipjn] March of the Dead to Greet Congress

  • Lori Perdue
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      Thank you for the blessing Nick. I means so very much coming from you. The action today was inspiring and saddening in equal portions.
      There were apx 60 citizens dressed in all black, wearing white masks and placards with a name of a person killed in Iraq, Afghanistan or the Palestinian Territories. We slowly, in memorial, marched from the SE corner of the Capitol, past the Supreme Court, the Senate office buildings the Capitol Building (the new "visitors center" under construction) and back up the House side of the Capitol. Following the procession, we gathered in the atrium of the Hart Senate Office Building to witness the reading of the names of the victims.(mine was Abeer Hazam, the 15 year old Iraqi girl raped, murdered and burned by US troops in 2006. The soldiers involved have been prosecuted for her death and the deaths of her family members.) There were five banners dropped from various spots along the atrium in this action. Three of the banners (at least three stories tall) bore the names of Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine, one read "We Will Not Be Silent" and the other I regret to report I didn't catch it's message. I was in a discussion with Capitol Police about the possible arrest of a compatriot and they cut it down pretty fast, before I could get a look at it. Things happen pretty fast here.
      All in all there were 12-15 arrests in the Hart, of those who refused to remove their masks or were handling the banners. The Capitol Police gave the arrestees three warnings and then arrested them. There was absolutely NO violence from anyone, even the police. David Swanson of afterdowningstreet.org was among those arrested.
      The rest of the afternoon I spent on the Hill going from one congressional reception to another, meeting several Senators and pressuring them to do more, to do all they can, to bring our troops HOME in 2009. I met Sen. John Kerry for the first time (he's TALL! And, encouraging of CODEPINK) and Sen. Debbie Stabenow, whose hand I shook and encouraged her to push harder to end the conflict in Gaza and thanked her for her NO Vote on the Iraq War. She thanked us for our work and said she would continue to push for peaceful, diplomatic solutions. I did see Sen Joe Lieberman in the hall of the Hart as well, but all I could muster for him was a mild growl.
      I stopped in at both of our Senator's offices and left them notes welcoming them back to work and asking them to use their positions to lead our Congress onto the right path. As is usual, the reception at Sen. Lugar's office was far more congenial that the welcome at Bayh's office.
      I will be on the House side tomorrow, starting with my own Rep. (Steve Buyer) to let his staff know I'm in town and will be "on the prowl" in Congress for the next several weeks and look forward to VA hearings, and Reps. Andre Carson and Mike Pence's offices. Andre needs to know that progressives are behind him and would like to see him step up to the plate, and Pence just needs to know we are watching him.
      Please, if you have a message you would like presented to your Rep's office let me know, either by e-mail or phone @ (317) 902-8221 and I'll see that it gets passed on in person.

      I'm off to a Vigil for those killed in Gaza and will be back in touch tomorrow after my adventures in the House of Representatives.

      In Peace and Solidarity,

      Lori

      And, yes, Nick, I do have all of you in my heart when I am here. Give me your input and I'll do my level best to make sure your words and messages are heard in our Government. Keep me in your thoughts, please. The police here are a little edgy with the ruckus of the inauguration coming up. I will try (really hard) to stay out of trouble.

      "When you put your hand to the plow, you can't put it down until you get to the end of the row."

      ~Alice Paul, Suffragist and Author of the Equal Rights Amendment

      To: ipjn@yahoogroups.com
      From: nickatlakehills@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:41:08 -0800
      Subject: RE: [ipjn] March of the Dead to Greet Congress

      Lori was in Chicago on New Year's Day for the opening of Camp Hope and now she is off to DC for this absolutely necessary statement against war and violence.  There has been little joy since Bush started his wars, but one of the absolute high points has been to stand with Lori in witness to the crimes at locations in Indiana and know that she will have us in her heart when demonstrating in DC.  God bless Lori Perdue!
      Nick Egnatz

      Walking out the door in an hour to head to DC.
      Will be in touch when the March of the Dead is over and I've got my feet on the ground.
      Peace and Solidarity,
      Lori

      To: btown_peace_ action@yahoogrou ps.com
      From: timothybaer2003@ hotmail.com
      Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:43:24 -0500
      Subject: [ipjn] March of the Dead to Greet Congress

      For Immediate Release
      Contact: David Swanson david@davidswanson. org 202-329-7847; Laurie Arbeiter 917-915-6115; Peter Cobb 415-686-1096

      MARCH OF THE DEAD TO GREET CONGRESS ON TUESDAY

      WHAT: A long column of figures dressed all in black with white death masks and bearing the names of those killed in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine. The march will be followed by a dramatic nonviolent action intended to awaken Congress to the need to end the wars.

      WHEN: March from noon to 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2009. Additional dramatic action 2:15 p.m.

      WHERE: The march will approach the U.S. Capitol on Pennsylvania Ave. SE and turn north on 1st Street to pass between the Capitol and the Supreme Court, turn west on Constitution Ave. to pass the Senate office buildings, turn south to pass the west front of the Capitol, and turn east on Independence Ave. to pass the House office buildings. Members of the media wanting to cover the additional nonviolent action should meet representatives of the March of the Dead in front of the Supreme Court at 2 p.m.

      WHY: "We will be conducting the March of the Dead as the 111th Congress is being sworn in," said Laurie Arbeiter of the Activist Response Team, creators of the march. "We demand that this Congress end the terror of war, get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, stay out of Iran, Pakistan, and Syria and stop all support of Israeli foreign and military policy that results in massacres like the current one in Gaza."

      "The power to begin and end wars rests with Congress," said David Swanson of AfterDowningStreet. org, "and the responsibility of Congress is to represent the American people. We have now for the second time elected a Congress to end the occupation of Iraq, and this time we will insist that it be ended. A treaty unratified by the Senate cannot legalize three more years of war. And the human impact of long-distance slaughter cannot be kept from the eyes of Congress members if we make up our minds that they will see it."

      --

      David Swanson is the author of the upcoming book "Daybreak: Undoing the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union" by Seven Stories Press and of the introduction to "The 35 Articles of Impeachment and the Case for Prosecuting George W. Bush" published by Feral House and available at Amazon.com.  Swanson holds a master's degree in philosophy from the University of Virginia. He has worked as a newspaper reporter and as a communications director, with jobs including press secretary for Dennis Kucinich's 2004 presidential campaign, media coordinator for the International Labor Communications Association, and three years as communications coordinator for ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. Swanson is Co-Founder of AfterDowningStreet. org, creator of ConvictBushCheney. org and Washington Director of Democrats.com, a board member of Progressive Democrats of America, the Backbone Campaign, and Voters for Peace, a member of the legislative working group of United for Peace and Justice, and convener of the accountability and prosecution working group of United for Peace and Justice.

      To receive updates from After Downing Street register at

      http://afterdowning street.org/ user/register

      To subscribe to other lists go to

      http://davidswanson .org/node/ 921

      Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how

      Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how